OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blessed by the Lord, screwed up by me

Started by sugarray, May 12, 2011, 01:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

The Lord blessed me greatly this morning.

I always (try) to say a little prayer any time I hunt and end by asking for blessing for the hunt and to hear birds/kill birds.  He provided greatly this morning.

I have a little place I go that has birds, but they don't regularly stay there.  Owner sees them from time to time and last week I had 3 gobbling.  Haven't heard any the past few times I have gone, but decided to go this morning.  I tried to roost a bird last night, but nothing.  I went in just going to sit and then make a move if one gobbled.  A little before 6 he gobbled and CLOSE.   I wasn't sitting in a spot that I could shoot well from, b/c I wasn't really set up to hunt, just listen.  I got up and moved where I could see the flat where I thought he would fly down.  He gobbled a lot and was really close.  I got a glimpse of his tail and he was going in and out of strut and thought I was ok, that he didn't see me move.  Well, he flew down away from me and proceeded across the creek to the adjoining property that I can't seem to catch the owner home to ask permission to hunt.  Well, he was fired up, but wouldn't budge.  After about an hour, I got up and reassembled about 20 yds to my left in a better position.  About 30 min later he got fired up again, but stayed over there gobbling.  I gave him the silent treatment and I guess he eventually wandered off.  Thunderstorms rolled in so I packed it up.

Truly a blessing to hear him gobble, but I just didn't realize how close he was and if I would have sat tight, I might have brought him home.  Sometimes need a rewind button.

Praise the Lord!!

hobbes

Been there and done that!  It doesn't sound like you spooked him too bad, if any, if he kept right on gobbling once he flew down. 

selinoid44

All in HIS time. He always rewards us when we put everything on HIM. Thats awesome.
I had a similar hunt this morning. I went to a farm I had never been to before. One of my co-workers just took a 24 lb bird with two beards from this place last weekend. He told me where to go sit, and the birds would come. Well I did and like you I always ask the Lord for a safe hunt and that His will be done. Let it be a fun hunt and thanks. Just after sun up the birds were gobbling like he said they would. About 6:10 here comes Wiley coyote headed for the dekes, with intentions of eating them of course. oUCH a load of #4's right to the chest. Thats the second one I have taken this spring while turkey hunting. I sat there thinking, better hold on for a while and then cluck a few times. Around 6:30 two hens came into view. Then two toms. The toms never did get inside of 75 yds. I sat watching for probably two hours and they went north to a small woods. I walked to the truck and got in knowing they went to the neighbors woods, which I cant hunt. Drove out the lane and down the road to see them standing by the road north of the woods. I turned the truck around and went back to the woods staying on our side of the fence, set up and waited thinking they might come to investigate the clucking and yelping. They were gobbling back and it sounded like they were getting closer... and then they were gone. LIke you said "PRAISE THE LORD" How fun is that!

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

sugarray

Quote from: selinoid44 on May 12, 2011, 02:26:24 PM
LIke you said "PRAISE THE LORD" How fun is that!

This is why I get in the turkey woods every chance I can, well almost.  This week I have been a little lazy.

TRKYHTR

Isn't turkey hunting fun. I love it even if it doesn't end up with a turkey over my shoulder.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hobbes

Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 12, 2011, 05:38:04 PM
Isn't turkey hunting fun. I love it even if it doesn't end up with a turkey over my shoulder.

TRKYHTR

sugarray

Should I go try to roost or just go back super early 430 and set up on the flat where he flew down to, on his way to the other property?

Would you use a Jake-Mobile?

hobbes

If possible, I'd try to roost him so you could move in close in the dark tomorrow morning.  Either way, if he's in the same location roosting or you think he is, I'd try to set up to intercept what he did this morning.  It sounds like you would then be between him and neighboring property.  If so, and he goes the other way, you have some room to make adjustments.

Its easy to give advice from here though, I don't have to deal with the consequences if the advice is wrong.  Good Luck whatever you decide.  I'm hoping to see photos of a dead turkey tomorrow.

sugarray

The other problem is I was in there calling some last night and may have drawn him over to where he roosted.

Also, I can only hunt until 7, so about an hour.  I need to get him from the roost.  Likely will just go in blind as it is 7 PM now and I just can't get over there.  We'll see. 

Uncle Bucky

:jesus-cross:

Yep, blessed everytime I go out, you'll get him, keep at it

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

chatterbox

Good luck, Ray. I wish you a safe and exciting hunt with him!

hobbes

sugarray

Well, I didn't go for 2 reasons.

#1 My wife asked me to stay in bed with her.  She left at 530 for work.  Since I have been getting up and going for over a month I obliged as I had a 4 hr round trip myself and didn't want to risk being tired

#2 Decided to let him cool off from me being in there.  He is not pressured, that I know of, and I'll be after him each morning next week as it is the last of the season. 

So I guess really I just wimped out at getting up, but it was well worth it.  Truck got fixed today and running good.  Going out in the morning and hope the storms hold out until afternoon. 

Spring_Woods

Gotta take care of the ladies ma man! Keep after him, good luck!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble: