OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Five year wait over. My youngest sons fist gobbler.

Started by ilbucksndux, March 31, 2020, 08:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

My youngest went on his first turkey hunt when he was 7. The very first morning we had a long beard come in on us silent and I didnt see it. He shot and missed. The next morning he missed a jake. The next 3 years has been one thing after another. Me getting us way to close, another hunter messing us up, sitting when we should have been moving,moving when we should have been sitting, and just turkeys being turkeys.

Sunday morning all that changed. We slipped in to one gobbling on the limb , the wind was blowing so hard you could not hear very far at all. Next thing we know he is on the ground following his hens away. We heard at least 3 more toms down the holler so we went after them. We heard the tom gobble on his own and we should have sat down but I couldnt tell how far away he was so we tried to get over to the next ridge. Well that worked out well we met him at the top of the ridge eye to eye. I was so mad at myself I threw the box call as we watched him fly across a holler 500 plus yards away.

As i was crying 2 toms came down the hill and were heading away. I cut at them once and they turned and were coming right for us. They went into the weeds right across a power line cut and should have popped out at any second . Next thing I know they were heading up the ridge away from us and would't look back. in the mean time the bird we just spooked was gobbling like crazy. The problem is we will have to find a place to climb down a bluff then find a place to climb up the other side. We took off.

once up the other side there was a road we could make it down pretty quick and quiet. I called to see where he was and he fired back.  We went up 50 or so yards and sat down and called once. we were in some pretty thick brush so he would be on top of us in a second. 10 minutes later we saw him 50 yards above us. I called soft and he disappeared in the brush. We saw him again a few minutes later heading right for us. Next time we saw him he was 20 yards. I cut hard and he gobbled,a second later he was flopping.

23 pounds 10 " beard 1" spurs

Gary Bartlow

zelmo1

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO, that is awesome brother. Congrats to you both.  :turkey2: :drool:

Muzzy61

Congrats to the young man and yourself. A well earned turkey.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

bigriverbum

AWESOME!

congrats to you and especially your son

it was a struggle to get his first one, but those things in life that take extreme effort and persistence pay off so much more in the end

turkeymanjim

Congratulations to both of you, and thanks for your story.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

goblr77

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bobk

harleytom

Nothing like it! Congrats to you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beards and Hooks

strum

Great story and congrats to you and your son .this is something he will cherish all his life.

tomstopper

Awesome congrats to you both. Way to stick with it

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

fishr64

Congratulations!! Your son's smile says it all.  :icon_thumright:

kyturkeyhunter4

That's awesome congratulations to the both of you. Well done young man  :icon_thumright:

High plains drifter

It took me 5 years to get a gobbler.That being said,  you can get good at it, if you scout, and put your time in.Also, talk to the old guys, they can give invaluable information.