OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

On the Board with an Alabama Public Land Gobbler

Started by uarobert, March 30, 2020, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uarobert

I heard him at 6:30 and got within 100yd of his roost.
There was quite a ruckus of gobbling and both sexes yelping, so I was worried hens would ruin it for me, but I called and added Jake yelps and fighting. Pretty soon a lone hen comes strolling in yelping. After a minute, she turned around back the way she came, but the gobbler was hammering really close, just over the hilltop. I finally started seeing his head. As soon as I got a good look at his head and chest, I fired....but it was further than I thought with too much brush in between. He went flying one way and 3 behind him went the other.
I decided to stick it out and call again after a while.
After a couple hours, I moved in the direction the others had gone, set up and called.
Just before 11, he sounded off, very close in the direction of my original setup. I could tell he was over the hill, so I quickly turned that way. He gobbled again, came into view and started making a bee line toward me. He went down the hill and when he started coming up my hill, to my left, I was able to swing on him. As soon as he came out from behind a tree, he was perfect for a 30yd shot.
1 1/4" spurs, 10" beard(pretty thin, though) and exactly 20 lb bone dry.

Hobbes

Congrats.  Nice photos.  I love the sight if an Eastern laying on the hardwoods forest floor.

Greg Massey

Yoteduster

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tomstopper

Nicely done. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tlh2865

Beards and Hooks

Tom007

goblr77

kyturkeyhunter4

greencop01

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."