OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hen with white head

Started by ColbyModisette, March 29, 2020, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColbyModisette

This weekend I heard a keekee run and a hen doing assembly yelps about 150 yards away, so I set up between them hoping a gobbler would come check it out. The hen came all the way up to about 3 steps from me and her head was snow white. Been turkey hunting all my life and never seen anything like her. Was wondering if anyone else has ever seen this. Was her head white cause she was stressed out trying to find her Jenny or was it just a coincidence that I saw a hen with a white head doing that? (When I say white I mean albino white, but everything else about her was normal)
Two Creeks Game Calls

silvestris

Quote from: ColbyModisette on March 29, 2020, 09:14:35 PM
Was her head white cause she was stressed out trying to find her Jenny

Someone please tell me what that is supposed to mean.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

bossgobbler

This is interesting. I have seen one gobbler in my whole life that is like what you describe. Solid pure white. No color variation no matter what his mood was. It was solid white all the time. He lives on our place. His head now has normal coloring. He is probably 6-7+ years old in my best estimation. His head stayed that white color for about one year. I'm really curious what others might say causes this. I've tried to find answers and I have never gotten one yet.

ColbyModisette

Quote from: silvestris on March 29, 2020, 09:21:24 PM
Quote from: ColbyModisette on March 29, 2020, 09:14:35 PM
Was her head white cause she was stressed out trying to find her Jenny

Someone please tell me what that is supposed to mean.
she had 6 of last years poults still with her and the seventh was the one separated. Didn't know if trying to find the missing Jenny was stressing her out and possibly made her head change colors like that
Two Creeks Game Calls