OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another would you?

Started by 2eagles, March 28, 2020, 08:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

So it will depend a lot on you and how you hunt... First "Double" I was on was back in 1999 when a buddy and I did this in the U.P. in MI, actually could have been a triple but the land owner didn't want to see our "hunt" end on the first day. Since then I/we have Doubled a total of 14 times, and have passed on others, timeframe of season and tags.

I have Learn to Hunts, Youth Hunts, Mentored Hunts and a Charity Hunt I do each year, plus my tags and a list of others I hunt with tags, I hunt for 8 weeks of season(s).

For me any double I/we can take we do, I always have another hunt lined up whether I'm on the gun or not. I have a running list of who has tags, time to hunt whether on "their" ground or mine, public or private.

The 2 boys (brothers) out for a youth season hunt and were able to double up on these 2 doubled bearded gobblers!
They both had tags for following seasons. Good Times!!

MK M GOBL

Paulmyr

Quote from: owlhoot on March 29, 2020, 12:10:54 AM
Killing a bird on Monday opener in Missouri sure makes a long time waiting for the next one.
Other states where you can kill 2 , only if i couldn't go again the next day or later.

I hear the Monday opener in Mo. thing but you gotta look at it this way. It gives the resident hunters, especially the locals, 5 days to hunt before all the out of towners show up on the 1st weekend with hopes of bagging their second bird the following week. I know because that's how I usually plan my trips to Mo.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Happy

No sir. One turkey per hunt. It's not even legal here so I dont have to worry about it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

However, I have had a father/son team double up twice now while calling for them on their property. Which is fine if that's what they want to do. Personally my goal is to stretch out my season as long as possible. I wont fill my last tag till the last few days of season or may wind up eating it. I dont care. I just want to be out there as long as possible.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Cowboy

I would let him walk. Its about the hunt for me. I usually get 3 tags here in my home state, but if I get a least one good bird here I'm satisfied. The experience.  I dont have to " Tag Out ".

TonyTurk

Both of them get to ride home in the truck with me.  If I want to extend my season, I will buy a tag in a neighboring state and hunt there.   Or go along on a friend's hunt and call for him.  Or just go out and "hunt" them with a camera. 

Harty

paintbrush

I'd pop both of them. After that, I could call my son or grandson or 1 of the half dozen friends of mine who also turkey hunt. I also hunt multiple states, so my turkey hunting year would probably be far from over.

Gobbler428

Its all about playing the game for me,I don't have to tag out, especially with the turkey population taking a nose dive in my state. Let him live to breed another day.

MS TurkeyHunter

If I'm hunting at home no. I would like to hunt that other bird for another day and enjoy the rest of my season. Now if traveling out of state with the goal to hunt as many new places as possible then yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eggshell

Like many others, I wouldn't if I had several days left to hunt. I done it once in Oklahoma on day two of a three day hunt. It was cool once, but it would depend on my situation going forward....hey 45 pounds of turkey is a lot to pack out!

Yoder409

I never have.............which is why I might consider doing it once. 

Generally, I'd like to spread my experience out over more than 2 quick pulls of the trigger.  But if the opportunity presented itself well, in an area where its legal........... I won't say I wouldn't just once......just to have experienced it.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

fallhnt

I'd take both with one shot

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Bearcat1997

If it was legal, I would do it without a doubt. For one, I have never done it before. For two, I would be able to continue hunting the rest of the spring by taking other hunters and by hunting bordering states.

squidd

Count me in for a daily double - although with duck hunting, at times I'm happy to just get one vice six