OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do you ethically get outdoors?

Started by idgobble, March 28, 2020, 12:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

An interesting article and some good advice such as "Avoid high-risk or remote activities". Practically speaking, we don't want "Search and Rescue" personnel wasting time looking for us or having to call a tow truck if we break down.  Might not be a problem for some guys hunting locally in the East or Mid-West but where I hunt in the Rocky Mtns. and Nat'l Forest there's no cell phone service and the nearest very small community (without any services) can be 50 miles away.  The nearest tow truck might be 100 miles away. I'm always prepared to spend a few days if I get stuck somewhere. I can see other considerations too. We don't want to end up in the emergency room.
https://www.hcn.org/articles/covid19-as-covid19-spreads-how-do-you-ethically-get-outdoors?fbclid=IwAR38u7d_DY5yNbGe6AbBw2ms2pF9_0kp0uJw5JVUl0ggllzhpJ93c_Dhd54

Harty

Good article/read. Thanks for sharing and certainly things to consider for those resolved to head away from their "home turf" to hunt.

bbcoach

Great Article.  Here in Eastern NC, the counties with beaches are telling the people in the middle part of the state, Raleigh and Durham areas, if you have a beach house don't plan on coming down to use it.  They want the residents in those areas to stay in their area, SHELTER IN PLACE!  They don't want the residents to possibly bring the virus to the coast and start an epidemic here.  It will put others at risk, tax the hospitals in the coastal counties and make matters worse.  I saw that the Governor of Rhode Island is telling the residents of New York the same thing.  Stay in New York!  She has the Highway Patrol stopping vehicles with New York and Connecticut plates if they are in Rhode Island.  Up to $1000 fine and a year in jail, if you don't comply.  Stay at home, only go out when necessary, practice social distancing and large gatherings.  We will get through this.

tlh2865

As others have said, good article. It's certainly something to consider that I had not thought about

Greg Massey

Quote from: Harty on March 28, 2020, 12:26:54 PM
Good article/read. Thanks for sharing and certainly things to consider for those resolved to head away from their "home turf" to hunt.
X2

2eagles

I live in Iowa and will be going turkey hunting. I'll call it going for groceries. I hunt places 5 - 30 miles from my house and worse case scenario if my truck breaks down, I'll walk home. I wrote an email to our Governor about being able to enjoy the outdoors and the very next day on her news conference, she said pretty much the same thing. Everyone should be smart about this, not in a panic.

yelpy

Quote from: bbcoach on March 28, 2020, 01:50:00 PM
Great Article.  Here in Eastern NC, the counties with beaches are telling the people in the middle part of the state, Raleigh and Durham areas, if you have a beach house don't plan on coming down to use it.  They want the residents in those areas to stay in their area, SHELTER IN PLACE!  They don't want the residents to possibly bring the virus to the coast and start an epidemic here.  It will put others at risk, tax the hospitals in the coastal counties and make matters worse.  I saw that the Governor of New Jersey is telling the residents of New York the same thing.  Stay in New York!  He has the Highway Patrol stopping vehicles with New York and Connecticut plates if they are in New Jersey.  Up to $1000 fine and a year in jail, if you don't comply.  Stay at home, only go out when necessary, practice social distancing and large gatherings.  We will get through this.

Lots of NY and NJ plates running around here in PA. Apparently some people dont care. Hopefully the law can gain control.

Sixes

I live a couple of miles from the #1 bike trail in Georgia and I rode by there today and the parking lot was at full capacity with the overflow parking full.

Crghss

From beaches to trails everything is closed by me.

Even closed the WMA I turkey hunt. To many Googan's hanging out and camping. Closed!
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Gooserbat

Sounds like a lot of people are worried about "what ifs".  In the end it's a personal choice and I can respect others choices as long as those choices are made responsibly.  Myself I chose to go hunting as much as I can and the only thing I intend to do is pay at the pump for gas while wearing ruber gloves.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Old Timer

Cut N Run

Two of my top 3 places to hunt are less than 8 miles from the house and I will only see a human if I make the choice to interact with the farm owners.  The other property is over an hour's drive, but belongs to my best friend.  There's tractors at every piece of land and I have access to the keys for each of them, so there's no need to worry about getting stuck or broke down.  I can also hunt a huge piece of public near my best friend's farm where I've only ever seen 3 other people in 4 years of hunting there.

I'm a little worried that there will be more people in the woods hunting this Spring.  Lots of folks are off work and will have more free time than usual, so I'll likely see more in the woods.  I plan on keeping a safe responsible distance.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

idgobble

I'm forced to cancel my turkey hunting vacation to Colorado because of Trump Virus social distancing guidelines and travel restrictions.