turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi/Alabama Season so far

Started by BB30, March 23, 2020, 01:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

Well the season has started off hot and heavy.

Youth weekend the kid that I took got to see 3 different gobblers on three different sets come into 30yds the first Saturday. I don't typically use decoys and the kid never felt comfortable with any of the shots as he is new to hunting and wasn't comfortable moving the gun much.

The following day(Sunday) I borrowed some decoys and we had a gobbler come in right about an hour after fly down. Unfortunately the kid missed. He still had a blast and I believe he is now hooked. He got to see and hear everything. Gobbling, strutting, drumming etc. just didn't connect.

The following weekend my father wanted to hunt. Weather was terrible. Saturday morning we had 4 gobblers come in silent. They got passed dad. I had a shot opportunity and unfortunately missed as well. If you turkey hunt enough misses will happen. The gobblers had gotten to about 35 yds but they new the gig was up and started moving at a quickened pace.

Sunday Morning we had two gobblers come in and do it perfect. They got to about 25-30 yds but dad didn't have a shot. So..I let them keep coming. They got to around 12-15 yds before dad finally had a shot and he missed as well. The hunt happened pretty quick on our second setup on the birds and I wasn't able to get a shot.

So after youth weekend and the opening weekend we had managed to educate quite a few Turkeys and had 3 misses.

Turn to this past week. Mississippi was open and Alabama opened this passed weekend the 21st.

Friday morning I managed to kill a gobbler. He was a good bird sporting an 11.5" beard and a second beard that was 7.5" along with solid spurs. It was a wild hunt. I went into an area I hadn't been to in a couple of years and ended up 25yds from the gobbler still on the limb. Still have no idea how he didn't manage to see me.

The bird pitched down about 50 yds from me on the finger that I was on. Just clucked and purred a couple of times and he came in to 25 yds.

I didn't hunt Saturday due to the weather and didn't hunt Sunday morning for the Bama opener. I did get out yesterday afternoon and had a good hunt.

I struck a bird at 3:30 he gobbled twice and came right to the gun with 3 other gobblers. They got to about 20yds before I had a good shot and killed him.

It has been an action packed start to the season and I am hoping it continues. It was good getting the missing monkey off of the back as it had started to creep into my head ha. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever have the opportunity to eat wild turkey nuggets again.

I will add some pictures later today!

Hope everyone is surviving the Coronavirus and that it will all pass relatively soon!

g8rvet

best medicine for a miss is a kill!  Way to keep after them.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BB30

Here are the pics from the two birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StruttinGobbler3

Wow, it's a totally different ballgame over to the East here in Georgia. Gobblers are henned up everywhere, can't find a bird by himself, won't come to calling, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

RutnNStrutn

grayfox

Congrats on the birds! Unfortunately I had a clean miss Saturday morning on a nice bird. Been a few years since I missed one. Sure does make me sick when it happens though.

Turkeytider

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 23, 2020, 03:42:27 PM
Wow, it's a totally different ballgame over to the East here in Georgia. Gobblers are henned up everywhere, can't find a bird by himself, won't come to calling, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will be hunting this weekend in Georgia. My buddy said the same thing about henned up birds. That means we`ll be trying to pick fights with hens in the mornings to see if we can get a boss hen to drag a gobbler with her. Chances might even be better in the PM to find a bird that`s henless.

Welp, so much for that! Chalk up another hunt canceled thanks to the virus.

BBR12

Congrats man. Yall have missed more than I have heard all season. Hopefully the tides will turn shortly.

3bailey3

congrats on some great hunts, thanks for sharing some great pics.

Yoteduster

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Greg Massey

Harty

Congrats on nice birds. Nice to see the start of green up. Stark naked here yet in Wi

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr