turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Day 2 Gobbler down

Started by strum, March 22, 2020, 02:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

I went to my favorite spot this  morn  and didnt hear a thing. So rather than sitting like a lump about 8:30 I took off to some property I had hunted toward the end of last season.
Had to drive a tight ,muddy log road for  a half mile or so then walked in about the same.
When I got to where I thought
I wanted to hunt I made a few calls and the same instant I see to people walking and I hear a gobbler
So thinking im over I walk to the people and they were just hiking.
I said did yall here that gobble and the they said yes go get him and they went back the way they came.
So I go back and listen . sure nuff he gobbled again. I thought he was across the lake but turned out he was on my side but wayyy off.
  So I made some loud calls using my Fulkerson hen box and my mouth call . I thought he answered once but I wasnt sure then it went quiet. I was thinking ok if you gobble again im headed your way and all the sudden some geese flew over and I hear a gobble much closer. I hit the box a again softly this time and wait. Then wouldnt you know it . Right behind me comes 4 big gobblers. and Im NOT ready. Had my gun on my lap turned the wrong way of course. So they started clucking and getting anncey. Im thinking they were saying hey where are yall? They were within 15 yards of me but I could not budge.
Finally they started back the way they come and I was able to get my gun turned . One of them presented an shot and well yall know the rest. I paced 50 steps. which is about 40 yards and this was my first TSS harvest. It did its job. What  morn !!

idgobble

Congratulations and thank you for the story.

Hobbes

Sounds like a great morning.  Congrats!

Crghss

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

1iagobblergetter

Nice one. Persistence and a little luck. Gotta love that.. ;D

tal

Greg Massey

jmart241

Tom007

Congrats, great job, great hikers.....

Kytomgetter

Congrats. Where are you hunting? Still have to wait awhile before I can get after them, can't wait.

JeffC

Congrats, thanks for the write up, the way things are going here in the Northeast, might not even get to hunt this year??
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Cowboy

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

tomstopper

Awesome. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

3bailey3

strum

Quote from: Kytomgetter on March 22, 2020, 05:23:32 PM
Congrats. Where are you hunting? Still have to wait awhile before I can get after them, can't wait.

North Ga.