Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My latest turkey slayer!! (patterning pics added)

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 21, 2020, 01:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briton

Nice looking rig. What kind/brand of stock is that? Does anybody know if that stock would fit onto a Stevens 301?

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: briton on March 26, 2020, 06:14:54 PM
Nice looking rig. What kind/brand of stock is that? Does anybody know if that stock would fit onto a Stevens 301?
Don't know if it will fit your Stevens, but here's where I ordered it from.

https://www.combathunting.com/H_R_NEF_Accessories.html

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

One thing I can tell you guys is that at only 4 pounds 12 ounces, she kicks like a frigging mule with those Apex TSS turkey loads!!!
Good thing you normally only shoot once when you're turkey hunting, and you're so amped up that you don't even feel it!! :D

ManfromGreenSwamp

Turkey assaulter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

turkeyhunter91

Good looking gun, I have a Rossi I fixed up simular to yours, those little single shots make one heck of a turkey gun. Good luck with it this spring.

310 gauge

You tricked her out sure enough. Bad azz !

kyturkeyhunter4

Fireengine70

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!! :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

hotspur

RutnNStrutn

Did a little range time today. On the 20 gauge, I shot 3" Apex TSS loads using their Small Town Hunting Blend, which is a #7-1/2 and #9 duplex load. At 40 yards I got 281 hits on a 8-1/2" x 11" paper target. 87 of those hits were on the body of the gobbler.
Next, I moved out to 60 yards with the same gun and load. Not quite the numbers some other guys have been achieving with TSS. 97 hits on a 8-1/2" x 11" paper target, with 27 on the body of the gobbler. I think that ethically this is a 50 yard gun. But that's OK! 80% of my gobblers have been at 20 yards or less, with the rest in the 30 & 40 yard ranges. I've only taken 2 gobblers beyond 50 yards, both at 54 yards.
I also switched over to an Indian Creek choke and TSS on my 12 gauge land cannon this year. At 40 yards with a 3-1/2" Small Town Hunting Blend of #7-1/2 & #9, it put 382 hits on an 8-1/2" x 11" paper target, with 162 hits on the body of the gobbler.
At 60 yards, the land cannon put 170 hits on the 8-1/2" x 11" paper target, with 75 hits on the body of the gobbler. Considering the target isn't life size, which equates to more body hits on a real gobbler, I'd say that set up is a legit 60 yard gun. Not that I've ever shot a bird at 60 yards, but it's pretty cool to see those numbers with your gun.

Tom007

Fantastic info. What kind of 12 gauge is your Land Cannon.... Great name....

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Tom007 on April 06, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
Fantastic info. What kind of 12 gauge is your Land Cannon.... Great name....
Remington 870 Supermag

mmorgan9812

Cool looking Turkey machine. Great pattern also

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk