OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gobble call  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
Gobble call
« on: March 20, 2020, 08:00:45 PM »
After the season ended last year I started  checking on some gobble calls. After watching a few videos I came up with an idea. I went to my waterfowl blind bag and pulled out my short reed goose call and tried to make it gobble. What heard kinda surprised me. I'm not very good with it trying to make goose sounds yet but it sure did make a pretty good gobble. Better than alot of the vids I watched. Haven't tried it on birds yet but it sounds promising.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
Re: Gobble call
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 08:39:36 PM »
Sorry guys posted this on wrong forum. If a moderator could please move this to the turkey calls section.

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Online Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 03:45:40 PM »
This is only my opinion but consider this. I pretty much never use gobbles. There’s lots of sounds you can use that sound like gobblers/jakes that won’t attract other hunters as readily. A gobble is guaranteed to increase human density in your area if most guys hear ya

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 05:41:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice. In 30 years of hunting. I have never tried a gobble call while hunting. If I did I wouldn't be running around the woods gobbling. The post was in response to how my goose call sounded compared to how manufactured gobble calls sounded. Maybe I shoulda led with the safety concerns of using a gobble call and not mistakenly posted it in the learning to turkey hunt section.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:24:31 PM by Paulmyr »

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 04:21:56 PM »
Goose call was too deep to my ear...  Although I have used a goose call as a locator call (with only limited success).

I did find an old predator call which sounds very realistic as a gobble.  (Terrible predator call, but great turkey gobble call).

I would be far more hesitant to utilize either decoys or a gobble call on public land than on Private...  I would be more hesitant to use jake/tom decoys than I would a gobble call.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »
I tried my flute style goose call thinking it might be more hollow sounding. It was to low as well. The short reed sounds good.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 05:34:37 PM »
Now that you mention it I think I might have monkeyed with the reed a few years back before I gave up trying to use it. That maybe why the pitch is higher.

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 09:30:59 AM »
So far, I have killed 2 birds by gobbling on my single reed mallard call. On private land however... I sound WAY to real to risk gobbling on public land!  :goofball:
Psalm 46:10