turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Action Cam Problem

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 20, 2020, 01:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

I just acquired a Tactacam 5.0 and hope to start filming some of my own turkey hunts, as I hunt alone 98% of the time. Don't want to fool with the bulk and weight of a tripod and traditional camera, much less the movement when a gobbler is close. Hence the action cam. I plan on using it with the head strap so it will film everywhere I look, without having to point the gun at everything I want to film. I don't think my occasional hunting buddies would like that. Here's the problem. Lining the cam up straight over the bill of my hat works great, UNTIL I mount my shotgun. Then it's pointing down and to the right, either barely keeping the target in view or completely taking it out of the picture. Any bright ideas for working around this, or experience doing so? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

strut-n-rut

I have the head mount also, been filming a little preseason  was wondering how it would do when I was looking down the barrel, guess I better check it out before the moment of truth lol

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Mount it on the gun

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

derek

Head mounted will be very tough to watch with a regular 5.0, make sure you have no zoom on if this is the route you go.  The 5.0 Wide would be much better for a head mount, but even then.. your head moves so much, I can't do it.  We use tactacams a lot, typically when solo hunting (which is almost always)  a gun mounted 5.0 and then a wide angle, either on a small stake/tripod or clip - most often we point it back towards ourselves for that perspective as we're using a larger camera on a tripod as well.  Having them on the clip is nice as we clip them onto our vest as we're walking, can point them straight out and get a much more stable walking shot than you would on your head while still showing whats going on.  Tactacams are a good camera, and make it fairly easy to get a lot of different stuff/angles on film, but the head mount option isn't the best route IMO. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

MK M GOBL

Been using Tactacam since 2015ish, whenever they released the 2.0 first year. Anyway we tried a number of different mounts, at least for us the "hat mount" didn't work out the best... seemed not to be pointing in right direction at time of kill, head is not pointed directly at target (at least with a scope on the gun). We only use a gun/bow mount with Tactacam, if the "GoPro" it is only used for the "hunter shot" selfie.  We did have to think about keeping the gun/bow pointed at "target" in this case turkey after the shot was made. Never ran into an issue with buddies along, we don't point guns at each other. My only guess is you are catching b-roll and 2 ways to do that, the Tactacam easily pops off gun/bow and back on with mount, or can just use cell phone. We have regular video cameras for our main footage.

MK M GOBL

Turkeyman

Mounted on bill balances well. Can be easily rotated. Attached 12 ga. copper wire for sighting device.  GoPro attachment parts.

deerbasshunter3

As long as you do not do what I did the other day, you will at least have footage...

I have the 4.0 mounted on my gun barrel, but forgot to turn it on while getting setup on a bird... It happened pretty quickly, but I just plain forgot...

It seems to me that mounting it on the shotgun/bow (stabilizer) is about the best/easiest way to always film exactly what you are shooting.