turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ethics, abilities and desperation in Turkey hunting

Started by LaLongbeard, March 20, 2020, 01:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have not really dealt with too many turkey hunting antics...  I have always avoided heavily hunted public areas, or am hunting private land.

I have witnessed horrible behavior with duck hunters...

Watched a guy block the boat ramp with his truck (only 17 permits given for the ramp).  He launched, completely blocked the ramp, and took off to hunt (so that no other hunters could launch)...  What he did not anticipate was another hunter pushing the truck off the ramp with his own truck...  I would guess with some body damage and trailer damage.  Hopefully a hard-learned lesson, and I doubt anyone turned in the guy that used his truck as a "bulldozer."

I have had guys set up on my decoy spread...  And proceed to tell me "there is plenty of room here."

I have seen and heard of fist fights breaking out over spots, and know of one group of pretty bad dudes muscling other hunters off of good locations (threatening violence).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

nativeks

Every year it seems I catch guys from southern states poaching and road hunting. Guys from AR are especially bad. So much so the game warden says he has more issues with them than any other state. I will say last year it was 2 guys from MS I caught that had poached a bird. Year before that tresspassers from AR. I ran them off in the morning and they shot a bird from the truck that afternoon with me in my driveway. Ive had guys from GA, more from AR, etc. And I only have 800 yds of road frontage.

bbcoach

Quote from: Howie g on March 21, 2020, 04:29:31 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 21, 2020, 04:12:55 PM
Or vice versa..  :TooFunny:  .Breathe and lighten up...
.  Lol , maybe I'm just a little uptight because I missed a big gobbler this am . I haven't missed one in many years .  I reckon I was past due ... :OGani: :OGani:
We've ALL been there, if you haven't it's only a matter of time.  Get back after him tomorrow.  Good Luck the rest of the season.  From the Old Man.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Howie g on March 21, 2020, 03:44:54 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on March 21, 2020, 07:48:21 AM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 20, 2020, 09:11:20 PM
Quote from: Howie g on March 20, 2020, 09:09:52 PM
Hmmm , what's more disrespectful. Following a turkey hunter to " his " spot, or calling someone a "old man " ??

.  You fellas apparently where raised differently then me . If  You call a gentleman a old man around my parts , you  May leave with a fat lip .
What parts are those? Every part of La I've been too it's more talking than doing of anything including handing out fat lips lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Howie g

I reside around the miss / Lou area . Where men still put a little shape in the ball caps , fear God and respect there elders

catdaddy

I've dealt with varying levels of what you have described at my hunting club---but mostly deer hunting. I realized years ago after regularly killing trophy bucks each season that other members we watching my every move. There would be ladder stands put up overnight in the general area of the scope of woods where my truck was parked. Now, out of habit , I purposely park my truck in a non descript place and then walk back o cut through to where I will actually be hunting.

eggshell

RutnNStrutn - I have thought about using a bike but I still walk in. I'm not suggesting you do this at all, but one of my most aggravating intrusions was with bike riders. My buddy and I were on our last day of an out-of-state hunt and had one open tag for my buddy. We had a bird pegged from the evening before. we arrived at the NF gate early and started our 1 1/2 mile walk. When we were about 300 yards from our spot two guys rode up from behind on bikes. They stopped and asked where we were headed, I was completely honest and told them where we had a bird located. They looked at each other and took off. Sure enough when we got to the side ridge, there laid their bikes. My buddy was furious and I tried to tell him to calm down, but he wouldn't. All I'll say is they didn't ride those bikes out. Yeah, it's poor behavior, but it's not worth ruining your own happiness over. As we were walking out we heard a distant shot from the ridge. I would have stayed and hunted, but I didn't want an altercation between them and my buddy. When we got to the trucks they were out of state too, (New York in Ky). My buddy never filled his tag. After a couple hours of trying new spots we just came home. I never get out of my mind upset anymore over this, it only steals my joy. If they want it that bad let them have it. Generally I'm very cooperative and share information. If someone pulls in while I'm getting ready I am willing to make an agreement as to who hunts where. I'll even let them have the choice first, I usually find a bird anyway.

bigriverbum

man, some of these stories are crazy. i hunt and fish in the Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota tri-state area. never had problems with anyone over anything outdoor related other than the occasional FIB being a bit thickheaded  ;)

G squared 23

Quote from: bigriverbum on March 23, 2020, 09:12:59 AM
man, some of these stories are crazy. i hunt and fish in the Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota tri-state area. never had problems with anyone over anything outdoor related other than the occasional FIB being a bit thickheaded  ;)

Can't stand FIBs, and I live there.