OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ethics, abilities and desperation in Turkey hunting

Started by LaLongbeard, March 20, 2020, 01:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

If you think it was bad before, I imagine it will be worse this season, with a lot of hunters simply looking to fill the freezer...  By any means possible.

Buying meat right now is challenging, and while I normally share about half the meat I get, we will be keeping all of it this season.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Howie g

Hmmm , what's more disrespectful. Following a turkey hunter to " his " spot, or calling someone a "old man " ??

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Howie g on March 20, 2020, 09:09:52 PM
Hmmm , what's more disrespectful. Following a turkey hunter to " his " spot, or calling someone a "old man " ??
Definitely trying to follow someone to their hunting spot.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 20, 2020, 09:11:20 PM
I agree... :icon_thumright:

Jstocks

Quote from: Fullfan on March 20, 2020, 05:51:55 PM
Hate to say it, but several Ark guys have doing the same and worse where I hunt in SE Missouri. Not a problem for 25 years, but the last 3 have been bad.

I've often dreamed of landing a job in Arkansas. They must have vacation laws similar to some countries in Europe. I've never seen groups of folks who come in droves like they do. Homochitto NF gets ransacked by Arkansas tags first couple weeks of Mississippi season, then they disappear....(hunting the Arkansas season).... then they march on Missouri like a full on invasion!
Southern Missouri gets hit hard!

bbcoach

OMG La, now your getting PC correction messages.  This term is used to show reverence and respect to someone that has wisdom.  Doesn't bother me to be called an old man.  Get a LIFE guys.     

Fullfan

Quote from: Jstocks on March 20, 2020, 10:31:03 PM
Quote from: Fullfan on March 20, 2020, 05:51:55 PM
Hate to say it, but several Ark guys have doing the same and worse where I hunt in SE Missouri. Not a problem for 25 years, but the last 3 have been bad.

I've often dreamed of landing a job in Arkansas. They must have vacation laws similar to some countries in Europe. I've never seen groups of folks who come in droves like they do. Homochitto NF gets ransacked by Arkansas tags first couple weeks of Mississippi season, then they disappear....(hunting the Arkansas season).... then they march on Missouri like a full on invasion!

Yes sir and it seems like on only the Arkansas hunters.  Last year I met 2 young guys from Miss.  Said they saw my rig parked at a log landing. Latter  they told me they were taught better than to walk in where someone was parked. Very nice young men no doubt.  Now the Arkansas crew drives past out camp and parks 100yds from out tent.
Southern Missouri gets hit hard!
Don't gobble at me...

LaLongbeard

Quote from: bbcoach on March 21, 2020, 07:48:21 AM
OMG La, now your getting PC correction messages.  This term is used to show reverence and respect to someone that has wisdom.  Doesn't bother me to be called an old man.  Get a LIFE guys.   

Well he's from Louisiana so you kinda have to expect that.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Kylongspur88

I'd never follow someone. That's actually dangerous given the number of accidental shootings in the turkey woods.

All the guys I hunt with on private land are respectful and we give each other plenty of space. If a guy want to hunt a particular spot I can say it's never been an issue.

On public land if someone were trying to follow me my bet is they'd give up after the first mile and a few hill climbs.

Crghss

I hiked in 2 miles this morning. If you want to park by my truck go ahead.

My experience has always been positive. Even talked too guys I've never met at the trucks to discuss where we're going so we don't step on each other.

I'm sure I'll have some negative experiences sooner or later but been luck so far.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

RutnNStrutn

Situations like that are why I ride my bike, or walk 2 to 3 miles back into the woods. I don't like uninvited guests, so I put in the extra effort to leave the Wally's behind. Most people are too lazy to put in the effort, especially if they follow you to your parking area because they can't even scout on their own. ::)
Go the extra effort and distance, it pays dividends!! ;)

Howie g

Quote from: bbcoach on March 21, 2020, 07:48:21 AM
.  You fellas apparently where raised differently then me . If  You call a gentleman a old man around my parts , you  May leave with a fat lip .

1iagobblergetter

Howie g

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 21, 2020, 04:12:55 PM
Or vice versa..  :TooFunny:  .Breathe and lighten up...
.  Lol , maybe I'm just a little uptight because I missed a big gobbler this am . I haven't missed one in many years .  I reckon I was past due ... :OGani: :OGani:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Howie g on March 21, 2020, 04:29:31 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 21, 2020, 04:12:55 PM
Or vice versa..  :TooFunny:  .Breathe and lighten up...
.  Lol , maybe I'm just a little uptight because I missed a big gobbler this am . I haven't missed one in many years .  I reckon I was past due ... :OGani: :OGani:
It happens. You'll get him tomorrow. Look at the bright side you still get to hunt that way and don't have to clean anything when you get home. Lol..