turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi 13 question

Started by Old Timer, March 20, 2020, 10:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

I have been reading comments hevi 13 isnt what it use to be. Since I have no experience with  it and before I try it what does that mean? I would like some info before I buy. 

Dtrkyman

They have been known to change their loads resulting in a change of performance from previous loads that are marked the same.

Try them, if they give you the patterns you want buy a bunch from the same lot#

Years ago they had a clear white hull that was roll crimped, the performance from those was outstanding and in my gun the 3 inch 1 5/8th Oz patterned better than anything else including 3.5 inch versions. And they were very low recoil! They discontinued that round and I went to winchester extended range, winchester discontinued that round and when I starting running low I switched to handloads in a 20ga!

Marc

Original Hevi-Shot was about 12 g/cc (just a tad more dense than lead at about 1 g/cc).

Hevi-Shot 13 was touted to be at 13 g/cc when it first came out, and now (as far as I know) it is at the same density of original Hevi-Shot at 12 g/cc...  No big announcements were ever made that this happened.

Environmental Metals has put out some great products, but have used some really sketchy marketing (such as keeping the name on the Hevi-Shot 13 after changing the density for which it was named).

Years ago, they came out with a product called Hevi-Steel for waterfowl hunting (a steel tungsten composite).  Denser than steel, but not as dense as lead, and it was considerably cheaper than Hevi-Shot.  At the same time they made Hevi-Shot Duck and Hevi-Shot Goose which were both considerably more expensive than Hevi-Steel.

Turns out the Hevi-Shot Duck was considerably less dense than the goose loads, but the price was NOT adjusted accordingly, and that information was NOT readily available....

Then they discontinued Hevi-Steel for about 10 years...  And now they again have a product called Hevi-Steel, which is NOT a composite load.  When the "new" Hevi-Steel first came out, hunters familiar with the original product bought it up quickly thinking it was a denser load....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

davisd9

Last Hevi I shot was in 2015.  There was a good pattern that would kill any turkey.  I quit with it and went to reloading my own as I was sick of the prices rising while the patterns got worse. The patterns still had plenty to kill but I went from a 225 average to down to like 160.  I was paying $20 per box for the 225 average and paid $35 for the 160 hit pattern.  Like I said, plenty to kill but I just could not justify that cost for what was happening.  One major change they did was from a powdered buffer to flax seed.  When Hevi Shot hits a bird it is down right devastating.  Now I load my own and do not have to worry about things changing.  The only thing that effects my cost right now is the cost of shot.  I cannot tell you how they have performed the last 5 years, but the years I used them they did good for me.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Old Timer

I can see reloading in my future. Thanks all!

bbcoach

I jumped on the Hevi 7's train about 12 years ago when they first came out with the copper shells.  At that time, the 3 1/2 Hevi 7's were putting up 300 plus in 10 at 40 (with some hitting 350) with several different choke manufacturers.  Several years after the initial offerings, the numbers went down to the 280 range.  Some on here, said that Hevi had changed their wads in the 7's.  At that time, many were shooting 7's with Great results.  The Hevi 6's and 5's and Magblends didn't seem to be effected as much.  The Hevi's on the market today aren't a bad shell IMO, it's just when Hevi set the bar so High with those initial 7's, it was hard to take a leap backward.  I was fortunate to find myself 10+ boxes of the lot numbers that shot so well, so I won't have to worry about a quality shell for my lifetime of hunting turkeys.  IMO Hevi is one of the best shells out there if you are staying 40 and in with a little cushion.  They pattern Great and they flat HAMMER birds.  But so do lead 4's and 5's.

Old Timer

Thanks BB i was hoping to get input  from you. I have not tried them yet, good pattern with LB but tight at 20. No luck with the latest and greatest Grand Slams. The hevi shot is not on the shelves here for some reason but i will most likely try them thanks. I enjoy patterning just dont like the cost. Good day.

bbcoach

davisd9

I shot Hevi 3.5" 6s and they changed quite a bit.  So did the Mag Blends.  It was not just Hevi 7s that the patterns dropped on.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bbcoach

Quote from: davisd9 on March 20, 2020, 01:29:38 PM
I shot Hevi 3.5" 6s and they changed quite a bit.  So did the Mag Blends.  It was not just Hevi 7s that the patterns dropped on.
Sorry davisd9, I didn't know about the 6's and mags turning tail too.  There was a TON of disgruntled 7 guys on here at the time with plenty of 7 talk.  Reverse, Reboot!

mudhen

Current H-13 works great for me!!

6's, 7's, and Magnum Blend...

Hevi-18 is patterning great for me too...

I'm not worried one bit about old density issues, not one bit...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Greg Massey

What few that i have shot , have done pretty good in my 20 gauge .

Gobble!

I've not shot their stuff in years. Stopped and started loading my own when they started switching load components that negatively impacted the shots performance. Maybe they've got it together now. If you buy a box and it does well stock up.

Dtrkyman

Not to mention the horrible crimps and buffer leaking all over the place.

Only thing I have seen worse were Nitro loads, crimps unfolding and buffer all over, pure garbage! A guy I guide has a box of 25 he got a while back and half of them are completely falling apart, pathetic!

ManfromGreenSwamp

Agree with Mudhen above.

I shoot the 7s and still consistently put mid 300s in the 10@40, no matter the lot, or year of manufacture.
I just recently purchased and will try the Hevi-18 for more punch power.

This all being said, from what I'm seeing...save tons of money and just jump on the XR longbeard train. They're destroying turkeys on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button