OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling Is ???

Started by bbcoach, March 19, 2020, 01:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Since retiring, over 7 years ago, I have had more time to scout spring turkeys.  I have actually started earlier preseason scouting over the years and have noticed one distinct observation that I want other peoples opinion on.  Several years ago, I was talking to some wildlife biologists and they told me that most states set their Spring Turkey season hunting dates (for several reasons) after most of the breeding has taken place.  With that being said, I have noticed when I scout early, say from 6 weeks down to 2 weeks prior to our opener, I don't hear much gobbling.  I observe plenty of strutting gobblers with hens but in bigger flocks.  They are normally with them in the trees at flydown and throughout the day.  From 2 weeks on into the season, gobbling ramps up and then falls off toward the end.  My question is, in your opinion, if the biologist are correct and breeding is MOSTLY (75 to 80%) over by the start of our seasons opener, then gobbling is ?.......

howl

Starting after peak breeding was the textbook approach, but most states did not follow it. You may note that some states have tried later dates the past few years. They moved the start to after peak breeding like it should have been. That's because of repopularization of the theory that hunting disrupts breeding of small populations too much.

BTP738

I can say this is not how Nebraska is set up. With archery season always starting March 25, and shotgun season starting mid April, we get the whole experience. Usually start with winter flocks at the beginning of archery and slowly go through the whole process. Not uncommon to find gobblers with hens still on last day of season, May 31.

Cut N Run

Coach, that's probably about right for here in North Carolina.  I see strutters with hens and don't hear much gobbling (except from the roost before flydown) before the season starts.  I suppose the reason we hear more gobbling during the season is because many of the hens have already been bred by then and there are fewer receptive hens available out there.  The gobbler needs to advertise more than usual to sow his seeds later in the season.  I'm happy it's getting to be that time of year.  Good luck & have fun this year.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

hotspur

Your not hearing gobbles because they are with hens, more gobbling means less hens in sight

Marc

I think it is year to year.... And area to area.

This year, I am still seeing toms/jakes and hens grouped up.  Next week is the opener...  I think very little breeding has taken place.

I have witnessed birds breeding in the middle of the season, even on years where it seems like things kick off early.

With years following poor hatches, I would not be opposed to a later opener...  This year it is looking like we had a decent hatch last year.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

bbcoach

Quote from: Cut N Run on March 19, 2020, 03:09:31 PM
Coach, that's probably about right for here in North Carolina.  I see strutters with hens and don't hear much gobbling (except from the roost before flydown) before the season starts.  I suppose the reason we hear more gobbling during the season is because many of the hens have already been bred by then and there are fewer receptive hens available out there.  The gobbler needs to advertise more than usual to sow his seeds later in the season.  I'm happy it's getting to be that time of year.  Good luck & have fun this year.

Jim
This is my thoughts as well.  2 years ago, here in Eastern NC, a buddy and I were out together and came upon a hen with about 8 young poults.  The date was the 10th of May and our season didn't end until the 12th.  We did some rough calculations and figured she would of been bred around the 10th to 15th of March in order to hatch those poults by then.  I thought Awful early.  But as I look back on my scouting, gobbling activity and hens moving around by themselves early in the season, it all makes sense.  Have a Great season as well.  A little over 3 weeks!
Ron

bbcoach

Quote from: BTP738 on March 19, 2020, 02:33:54 PM
I can say this is not how Nebraska is set up. With archery season always starting March 25, and shotgun season starting mid April, we get the whole experience. Usually start with winter flocks at the beginning of archery and slowly go through the whole process. Not uncommon to find gobblers with hens still on last day of season, May 31.
Is this due to the colder temps you guys have or possibly late snow.  Mother nature always seems to know when is the appropriate time to drop those eggs.  I was in South Dakota a few years ago hunting Merriams and we had 6" of snow on May the 8th.  Not unusual out your way.

BTP738

Quote from: bbcoach on March 19, 2020, 07:52:30 PM
Is this due to the colder temps you guys have or possibly late snow.  Mother nature always seems to know when is the appropriate time to drop those eggs.  I was in South Dakota a few years ago hunting Merriams and we had 6" of snow on May the 8th.  Not unusual out your way.

The snow can possibly have an effect, but the snow then is usually short lived. Nest predation has a serious effect and those hens will keep renesting even into August/September.

Dtrkyman

I was hunting strutting gobbling turkeys on the last day of May in Nebraska a few years ago, driving to a spot mid day I saw a hen that had poults, lil tiny guys that must have hatched in the previous day or two.

I watched a gobbler breed a hen in a blizzard years ago in Illinois first season around April 5th, they moved the season one week later not long after that, have also seen hens being bred at the end of the season(mid may), I am sure there is a peak somewhere in there!

I go smallmouth fishing in Wisconsin first week of June about every year, gobbler strutting all over the place still!

310 gauge

What has been a field full has turned into pairs. Seen 4 different fields with birds "dating" this week. Three long weeks from burning powder....

GobbleNut

There are a lot of factors that affect gobbling activity.  Hen availability and receptivity to breeding are two of the primary ones.  Others are comparative gobbler and hen densities in an area.  Another is hunting pressure, both in terms of how many gobblers are getting taken out of the population as the season progresses and also the impact that hunting pressure and disturbance has on suppression of gobbling. 

The one factor that has me personally baffled is the short-term variation in gobbling activity on a day-to-day scale.  I have experienced lots of consecutive days of what appears to be identical weather/environmental conditions where on one day the gobblers are going crazy gobbling,...and the next day they are almost completely shut down.  That one beats me!

The best any of us can do is hope that when we are out there hunting them, they decide that they want to gobble!

HookedonHooks

Most places in Nebraska come May 31st are also a lot different place than they were March 25th. More habitat change from the start of season to the end of season than anywhere else easily.