turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Next Question - Wing shooting

Started by eggshell, March 19, 2020, 07:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

Well the Nut started this so I have a question too.

You call in a gobbler and he spooks at 20 yards and immediately flies. You have a clean window, do you wing shoot him?

Let's assume you have the skills as a good wing shooter and confident in those skills, as no one should try it if they aren't confident in their ability.

In the past I am a big yes and I have killed at least 4 gobblers off the wing. To answer the question someone will ask: I have never lost a crippled gobbler from wing shooting. Everyone rolled up in a pile dead. A 20 pound gobbler falling out of the air makes quite a thud. I have also watched a bunch fly away as I have to have a clean shot. In my day I was a very accomplished wing shooter and was known for my skills. Now at 65 and reduced vision and reaction, I haven't even tried one for years and probably wouldn't now. I know I used to get PO'd if it took me a box of shells to kill a limit of doves and now I just hope I can keep it under two boxes. Yeah age matters.

hotspur

I'm good with it, doesn't happen often I think. Once called a gobber for  a buddy, at the shot gobbler rolled and recoveredthen flew sstraight at us. Buddy's gun jammed , I watched as he struggled with the pump, gobbler closing fast, when gobbler cleared buddy I shot him in the head at 8 steps, was to be buddy's first turkey.   Sorry my man

blake_08

That's a pass from me. I've been bird hunting since i was old enough to do it (I'm 29). Avid waterfowl hunter, doves, pheasants, and lots of crow hunting. I'm pretty confident in my shooting but I wouldn't take the shot and risk busting a wing just to have the gobbler run off. With wings that big and a body that thick, i think the risk of crippling a gobbler is too high for me to personally take a shot on the wing. I'm sure there's been piles of birds killed on the wing, but it's not a risk I'm personally willing to take.

GobbleNut

"The 'Nut'",....I like it!  (truth be known, it fits better, too)  :)

Okay, to answer "the Shell's" question.....

Over the years, I shot a couple of gobblers flying,...and I missed a couple, as well.  ...And unfortunately, in one of my younger years, I lost a gobbler that I crippled by shooting him flying away.  That incident was enough to teach me my own lesson about trying those shots. Since then, I have refrained from those attempts, even though I have some level of confidence in my wing shooting ability.

On the other hand, there are various states of "flying",...from those initial attempts of a gobbler to get air-born,... to the full throttle, in-the-air and goin' away mode.  Nowadays, the first I have no problem with as long as the shooter has sufficient competence,...the second is a sure-fire way to end up with a crippled and lost turkey. 

Unfortunately, I think wing shooting turkeys is often a split-second, reflexive reaction for a lot of guys that have done a lot of it with other species.  I suspect that will continue.  I would hope that good judgement on the part of the shooter comes into play in any case. 

Spitten and drummen

Nope. For me absolutely not. The gobbler won the game. Crippled birds do happen and it gives me a sick feeling. Some people feel like they have to shoot. I have had guys say " he started walking off " or he "would not come any closer so I had to take the shot". I think to myself , exactly why did you HAVE to take the shot? I don't judge anyone for doing what they do but it is up to me to police myself. Therefore I wont do it. I wont ambush one , limb shoot one or shoot one I walk up on. This is just my personal rules I play the game by. Some will kill them at any opportunity. Alls fair in love and war. Just my 2 cents.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gooserbat

If a dead turkey is the objective.  To answer the OP's question. Yes.

If you are all cought up in the game and the experience of it then it's for you to decide.  Just remember that when hunting any game animal, that you and you alone dictate what is a successful and satisfying hunt. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 19, 2020, 09:39:57 AM

If you are all cought up in the game and the experience of it then it's for you to decide.  Just remember that when hunting any game animal, that you and you alone dictate what is a successful and satisfying hunt.

Well said.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

It all depends on how mad i am at the gobbler , nothing is off the table in my opinion , i don't have to explain myself to anyone , but the good lord above. Hunt the way you want and just enjoy your time in the outdoors chasing turkeys. I'm not the macho turkey hunter , i'm just old turkey hunter trying to enjoy my last few years of turkey hunting regardless .  AGAIN IT"S ALL OPINIONS...

GobbleNut

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 19, 2020, 09:39:57 AM

The question really is one of whether that dead turkey is going to be one that you hold in your hands and put a tag on,....or is one that flies off and dies somewhere in the woods.  In every "flying turkey" instance,...and depending on each individual shooter's ability,....there is the "sure kill" period and then there's the "maybe" period.  Hunter's need to know which is which and curtail their shots once a gobbler gets past the "sure kill" stage of flight.  If there is a question in anybody's mind about when that is, they should not be pulling the trigger.

Papa

I have always been taught and preached that you owe it to the animal to only take a good humane shot. I would not nor would I shoot one off of the perch. But to each his own.

Harty

Know you're skill level,confidence level, and shot presented. Based on that make a good decision . For me by the time I get the gun up,safety off, and lined up he's outta range. So issue settled. Reflexes aren't what they used to be  :)

gdc23

As you describe it, clean shot and the shooter has the ability to make the shot, then yes I see nothing wrong with it. for me personally probably not.

strum

My question would be whats the conditon of the bird if you do hit him?
Of course non of us want to cripple and loose the bird
But for me I believe in eating the animal I shoot.
If I cant eat it I dont kill it. If I shoot a flying bird it will probly be full of shot and or bruised up meat.
Too many negatives for me so ill not do it.

LaLongbeard

How many here take running shots at passing deer? Not wounded deer just pot shots at spooked running deer. If I want to jump shoot birds I'll take up quail.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Dtrkyman

I have never had that opportunity, but I would guess my wing shooting and killer instincts would kick in and I would roll him!

I would likely hold off on a bird flying straight away, no clean line to his melon!