OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Callmaker venting!

Started by Jrkimbrough, March 17, 2020, 02:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

I now understand why so many of you guys are going to a "no waiting list" policy and just posting up calls as they become available....

People just don't understand that most call makers have a day job, a family AND enjoy turkey hunting!  Ha!  Who woulda thunk!  :TooFunny:

As I was getting to the last of my list for before season I had a few pan out that I was not able to finish that I was hoping to finish and I've had a few people act downright rude, cussing me, DEMANDING that I build their call because I have ruined their season.  :o

It's a fun hobby and the pressure of a "list" is just too much sometimes and takes the enjoyment out of it!

I guess a lot of these guys are just new to the custom call thing because I know I have personally waited up to two years for  calls from certain callmakers.

Anyways, just venting!

Be nice to your callmakers!  ;D

Gobble!

IMO as long as the builder provides me an estimated lead time I know to sit back and wait. If there is no lead time given it can make things questionable especially if funds are sent upfront. They tell me it will be 3 months and 6 months later I've not heard from them I will reach out.

Demanding someone build their call because they've ruined their season is kids stuff. Probably best to recommend they call someone else.

strum

I got one this year from a well know maker on this forum. I knew I would have to wait and didnt put any deadline on it. Thankfully Mine made it in for thr season. But  had it not , It wouldn't have ruined my season at all . If Im banking my season on one call makers call im trouble already.

Tom007

Amen, agreed. If a call that is ordered from a custom maker makes or breaks a season, something is wrong. I think most call makers want to get their products out timely, but day job, family, and hobby restraints could effect that. All in all, I have had nothing but quality experiences with all the ones I dealt with. Thanks much for sharing your talents with all of us.....

guesswho

If not having or getting a certain call ruins your season, you are not a turkey hunter!   You are missing an awesome experience that only comes around a few weeks a year, while worrying about some physical item you don't have.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tom007

TauntoHawk

do you take cash up front? I think that would be the only leg to stand on from the consumer side is if they paid in full already.. every list I've ever been on I never paid a dime until the call was finished so I have nothing more then a phone call invested to be on a prospective buy list, when its done its done and I have had some really long waits.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 17, 2020, 04:35:56 PM
do you take cash up front? I think that would be the only leg to stand on from the consumer side is if they paid in full already.. every list I've ever been on I never paid a dime until the call was finished so I have nothing more then a phone call invested to be on a prospective buy list, when its done its done and I have had some really long waits.

I never take any payment up front, even if offered.  I personally just think that's bad business.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Jrkimbrough on March 17, 2020, 04:38:59 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 17, 2020, 04:35:56 PM

I never take any payment up front, even if offered.  I personally just think that's bad business.
That's what I assumed

It's a shame people bring unnecessary stress into your hobby/passion

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

captpete

If he was so concerned about having the call for this season, maybe he should contact the call maker 8 months in advance instead of 3 months before the season starts....just a thought.

Sir-diealot

When I got my second custom call, my Spalted Maple With Green Slate from Mac Turkey Calls I now realize I was probably a pain in the neck to him. For one I did not realize that seasons started sooner in certain areas and that he was out hunting, because of that I sent several texts and called I think once. I was worried about having it in time for my season which I eventually did, but I do feel bad about it now that I know more and have apologized to him to which he was graceful enough to say don't worry about it.

That said I personally am not likely to ever buy from somebody I have to wait 2 years from, I am just to antsy to wait that long and I know it, I get hyped up waiting for something to come in a week. The one exception will be when I finally get ready to order from Mr. Buice, I have no clue how long his wait is.

Some things I have learned is to ask questions ahead of time, if you want something special done with your call or not done to the call ask the maker if it can be done before you make the order. Ask if it is going to be done before your season and if not make sure you can live with that.

Understand that life happens, if the maker has had an emergency then that is life, deal with it. You may choose to ask for a refund or you can just man up and wait the extra time, think about what you would want done if you were delayed because something happened to you family member, or you got injured, you would still want the chance to make things right so give the maker the same chance.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RED NECK

Sorry to hear that,he sounds like a little bitch. I would not even bother building him a call as he would just pout about it.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

camotoe

I guess he b one and done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Nothing is guaranteed this day and time , if that one call was going to ruin his season , i just feel sorry for him. Now on ordering calls and waiting about 2 years to receive that call, most of the time , that WAIT is awesome on receiving that call , you have been waiting on from that call builder, that your number is up and you will be receiving your call in couple weeks. That mail day is pretty special. I think it's honor that the call builder even adds you to his list knowing you will have almost 2 year wait. That call builder could of said NO , not taking orders.

callmakerman

Quote from: Jrkimbrough on March 17, 2020, 02:39:54 PM
I now understand why so many of you guys are going to a "no waiting list" policy and just posting up calls as they become available....

People just don't understand that most call makers have a day job, a family AND enjoy turkey hunting!  Ha!  Who woulda thunk!  :TooFunny:

As I was getting to the last of my list for before season I had a few pan out that I was not able to finish that I was hoping to finish and I've had a few people act downright rude, cussing me, DEMANDING that I build their call because I have ruined their season.  :o

It's a fun hobby and the pressure of a "list" is just too much sometimes and takes the enjoyment out of it!

I guess a lot of these guys are just new to the custom call thing because I know I have personally waited up to two years for  calls from certain callmakers.

Anyways, just venting!

Be nice to your callmakers!  ;D
Never cared much for the list thing but it is a way to keep track of things. I work 10 hour days and have a home to take care of with my wife who I also enjoy spending time with. I do not have a duplicator or CNC my strikers. They are all done by me one at a time at 20-30 mins each from start to finish. Tedious work at times but fun for the most part. For myself and other call makers life does get in the way. Contacted some guys last week letting them know I hoped to have their strikers done by last weekend because I was on vacation. Well things change when your 85 year father blacks out doing PT and 911 is called. Yes all ended well but in short order my week changed and less of what I wanted to do got done. Caught up now but the point being yes we all want new toys to hunt with. Hell I'm as bad as anyone out there but please understand this is a hobby for most of us and our day to day life changes and takes the top spot in our lives. Just to say I will never take money up front. I tell everyone I will not take money till my work is done. Thanx to the hunters that do like and use my strikers.