turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NY Turkey hunting

Started by gdc23, March 14, 2020, 07:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdc23

Its been a few years since I have hunted out of state, I used to turkey hunt Dutches County and more often up around Hoosick Falls NY. I have not hunted NY in approx 10 years and am looking for any info on how the bird numbers are these days as compared to back then. Any other suggestions on places to try withing 60 miles or so of the MA/NY RT 90 border would also be appreciated.
Thank you
gdc

Old Timer

All i can say in cny population is way down. Good luck

Sir-diealot

I don't know that area I am in the Finger Lakes and when I returned to hunting 4 years ago I was shocked how few there were in comparison to when I had my accident in 2001
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Nothing like late 90's. Pop down....sad

nyhunter

Numbers are way down in most of the state, there are small pockets where there may be a few more but in general there down.  Don't set your sights on the good old days and just go hunting and have fun, it's a good day if you hear a bird , a great day if you work a bird , and anything more is a spectacular day here in NY.. Just have fun and enjoy being in the woods

Dr Juice

Quote from: Tom007 on March 14, 2020, 09:46:39 PM
Nothing like late 90's. Pop down....sad
I concur ... sad but true.

Bowguy

I'm not real far from there. Numbers are down quite a bit

TauntoHawk

The 12yrs I spent hunting Greene Co NY it was some of the best turkey hunting I've seen out of the 6 or 7 states I've been to. Would say there has been some decline from early 2000s to my most recent  season to the population but the area between the Catskills and the Hudson River was always very good to me. The placed I've hunted further west in Tompkins Co were a lot more spares.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

vtstrutter

I hunt in Hoosick Falls. There are still a bunch of bird there but there are a ton of hens compared to the Tom's.

mspaci

hey, Im in Dutchess, yes numbers are down some but Im still getting into plenty each season. Mike