OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Striking Call

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 13, 2020, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just wondering, which crow call do most here carry? I've had a hooks and now have a Gibson. Which one do you find to strike birds with more regularity, if any? I'm not so much concerned with it sounding like a real crow as I am about birds gobbling at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

troutfisher13111

I just received one from Chad Scruggs that to my ears is amazing. It has a sound I am sure will shock gobble very effectively. Best I've heard and loud.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Choose the loudest call you can find...

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 13, 2020, 11:53:58 AM
What's the loudest one you've found so far?

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 13, 2020, 12:17:47 PM

Primos Power Crow

KentuckyHeadhunter

Ncbowjunkie aka Daryal Gosey makes the best I've ever owned.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Sir-diealot

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on March 13, 2020, 01:02:05 PM
Ncbowjunkie aka Daryal Gosey makes the best I've ever owned.
x2 on Ncbowjunkie aka Daryal Gosey I own 4 of them and his sounds the best to me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 13, 2020, 12:25:42 PM

Primos Power Crow

I have a PS Olt call that I have used since the 1970's that's a screamer.  I've just never seen a need to replace it, but I do have some back-up's in case I was to lose it.  One of those is the Power Crow mentioned by RV above. 

Some folks are concerned about realism and look for that as their primary consideration when using crow calls as locators.  Personally, I don't give a "hoot" (pun intended) about the realism.  Shock gobbling is all about loudness and abruptness.  I will take a locator call that is loud over one that is more realistic sounding every time. 

Chris O

I don't use one that often but I carry a Yingling crow call. I normally wait for the real crows or hawks to sound off . In certain situations it's nice to have one though. It always amazes me at what will make turkeys gobble . Cows, coyotes, vehicle horns, thunder, gun shots  . The neighbor had a a couple mules one time and they really got them gobbling when they would sound off. I really enjoyed them being around

Greg Massey

I have old Knight Hale crow call , that i carry and use very little , most of the time i try to get one to fire off from glass, crystal pot call or box call.

Dtrkyman

No idea, I  and have had the same knight and hale crow call since around 1990, it is quite loud and sounds ok.

Birds gobble at it but I tend to use a turkey call to locate birds more often.

I really do not keep track but it seems if I strike a bird with turkey sounds I call them in more often.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 13, 2020, 02:21:47 PM
No idea, I  and have had the same knight and hale crow call since around 1990, it is quite loud and sounds ok.

Birds gobble at it but I tend to use a turkey call to locate birds more often.

I really do not keep track but it seems if I strike a bird with turkey sounds I call them in more often.
[/quote  X2 .. i so agree

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 13, 2020, 01:23:00 PM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 13, 2020, 12:25:42 PM

Primos Power Crow

I have a PS Olt call that I have used since the 1970's that's a screamer.  I've just never seen a need to replace it, but I do have some back-up's in case I was to lose it.  One of those is the Power Crow mentioned by RV above. 

Some folks are concerned about realism and look for that as their primary consideration when using crow calls as locators.  Personally, I don't give a "hoot" (pun intended) about the realism.  Shock gobbling is all about loudness and abruptness.  I will take a locator call that is loud over one that is more realistic sounding every time.
I've seen screaming locator calls , make birds go silent , it's not something natural they hear very often.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 13, 2020, 02:27:20 PM
I've seen screaming locator calls , make birds go silent , it's not something natural they hear very often.

It's all good.  If you don't like 'em, don't use 'em.  :)
...For those that do, be courteous to your fellow hunters and try not to mess up another guy's hunt when doing so. 

1iagobblergetter

One from Jim Tatman is what I've used.