OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

6x284

Started by wvmntnhick, March 11, 2020, 08:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

I know everyone's in turkey mode but I'm waiting on chokes to arrive to do some testing and it's given me a few minutes to play with something different. Been trying loads in a 6x284 and finally found a load that'll shoot. Anyone use one? What's your load? Feel free to pm if you're not comfortable putting it on an open forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StruttinGobbler3

Haven't tried that one yet. What type of bullet are you loading? Grain weight and velocities? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

wvmntnhick

I've tried a few different bullets so far. The 87 gr Berger shows some promise. The 90 gr Sierr@  TGK hasn't been pleasant. It shot patterns, not groups. But I'm gonna play with it some later on. The 85 gr Sierr@  bthp did ok today. Not certain velocity yet. Gotta get it over the chronograph soon to find out. But, here's a 3 round group with the first load I tried with the 85 so far.

StruttinGobbler3

Looks like a pretty good load. I would expect those 6mm bullets are screaming out of that case

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

wvmntnhick

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 11, 2020, 09:56:29 PM
Looks like a pretty good load. I would expect those 6mm bullets are screaming out of that case

Hodgdon's site says 3407 with 50.7 gr of 4350 (IMR) and an 85 gr Barnes and a 26" tube. This thing is wearing a 28" Schneider. I'm hoping to get about 3600 FPS and will settle for half MOA. If I can get that velocity and keep this accuracy, all the better. But, if I run it over a chronograph to find its in the 3200 range, I've basically got an expensive 243 and that's not worth it to me. Barrels can be replaced. I'll run it until I get what I want from it. If it drops off too much, I'll either rebarrel or cut it back and wait until it burns itself out. But I'm really curious to see what this bullet does to deer at 3600+.

StruttinGobbler3

That would be pretty interesting. I know a lot of guys love the 6.5/284, but I don't know anybody who's tried the 6mm version.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion