OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I know ill get a million answers, What vest and why?

Started by rabbit59, March 11, 2020, 12:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit59

Just thinking my vest has a lack of pockets.  I love the magnetic catches on seat pad, get up, flip it up, and go...But maybe these are catching on with a lot of new vests. I dont like lack of storage though and maybe water pocket for hydration would be nice....comments?

jlw

I bought a new Cabella's Tactical Tat'r vest in MO camo to hunt in this year.  I've hunted in my old vest for over 10 yrs but wanted a new vest for this year. I bought the Cabella's vest because of the great reviews I've read on it here and some other forums. But the real reason I bought it is because it was on a clearance table marked way down in price at Bass Pro's Shop.

Now that I have this vest I really like it and I'm glad I got it. I think it is a well laid out design with plenty of pockets and storage for me. I also love the flip down seat on this vest.

buzzardroost

I have a lot of them but will say that the Cabelas Tatr is the most versatile I have. The speed seat is great. Plenty of room but not terribly heavy or hot. Magnets on vests can be a pain, IMO. Your always knocking your seat loose catching on brush. That's not an issue with the Cabelas.

Tail Feathers

Tactical Tat'r here.  Haven't found one I like better is why I use it.
I took the kickstand out after first trip with it and haven't used it since.
It is only lacking shell holders, but it has enough pockets to put a couple of extras in there somewhere.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bigriverbum

knight and hale run n gun 300

thick seat flips up and stays up without using magnets. just straps and gravity
shell holders
fits nice and tight. not a big baggy vest
plenty of nice pockets
nifty mouth call holder
pot call holders easily accessible.
backpack that you can put a hydration bladder as well as other things

TauntoHawk

Still searching for the perfect one, might have to have someone make a Frankin vest at some point.

I have a Cabela's tac tatr, knight&hale 200, primos rocker, alps impact

I imagine the RG200 will get the most use by me and my wife will wear the impact.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

My main thing with a vest is I want it to be treeless. I use the old redhead vest.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Tom007

Vests are very important for all of us. I have tried them all. The best one I had was the Under Armour TRAx vest. That is until now. I just got the new Badlands vest. I love it. It incorporates everything that I look for. It has the same version of the Cabelas Speed Seat, real thick, comfortable seat. It has 12 pockets, well thought out. Made from the quality materials found in their famous packs. Real comfortable shoulder straps, and a great back cushion. The vest is light, less than 4 pounds. And yes, there are she'll loops. One last thing, hydration bag compatible. The best I have seen yet. It's filled, and ready to go.... be safe my friends.

Marc

What kind of hunting are you doing (more stationary or more "run & gun" hunting?)
Are you a minimalist or a maximalist?  (I think most of us turkey hunters carry a lot more than we need)

I went with the Cabela's Tat'r vest, due to the fact that it was one of the few vests that fits a smaller person well...  However I like the vest.

The seat design pulls down and goes back into place very easily.
The pockets are well-designed for organization and storage of gear.
The vest seems to be rugged and is holding up well to my going through brush and over/under fences, etc.
It is a relatively quiet vest.
It is priced reasonably.

I like the designs of a lot of other vests, but they all fit me like a dress...    O'l Tom makes a number of vests reasonably priced that are organized and designed well...  But they do not fit me....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: bigriverbum on March 11, 2020, 02:50:58 PM
knight and hale run n gun 300

thick seat flips up and stays up without using magnets. just straps and gravity
shell holders
fits nice and tight. not a big baggy vest
plenty of nice pockets
nifty mouth call holder
pot call holders easily accessible.
backpack that you can put a hydration bladder as well as other things
This has been the best vest for me by far. I've been wearing it out shed hunting lately.  I had almost went to a backpack cause I've always used a bladder outside of Turkey hunting.  Another nice thing about the bladder is it acts as comfy back rest.  Also has a place to strap a jacket or can even fit it in the backpack if not to bulky. Seat design is another plus.

misfire

Knights Hunting Products hands free vest. I do not use mouthcalls, only pots and trumpets. This vest allows me to lock the gun to my shooting shoulder and keep both hands free to manipulate the calls I use as needed.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

rooster77

Elmerfudd

I like the Nomad. Thermocell pocket, magnetic seat, lots of pot call and striker room. Id run a knight and hale but I need more room in back to carry stuff.

trkehunr93

I have an old Hunters Specialties strap vest I've used since 1995, works great for me.  I prefer to slip my vest off when I set up so I just carry a closed cell foam pad I bought at Wally World close to 20 years ago and just keep it in the game bag part and slip it out when I set up. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StruttinGobbler3

Not too many mention this vest anymore these days. I like the ol Tom ibeam 2.0. They don't make it anymore, but you can still get them. There were a couple in the classifieds here last time I looked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion