Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I know ill get a million answers, What vest and why?

Started by rabbit59, March 11, 2020, 12:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard black

I purchased the Nomad. The second generation with the loops on the call pockets. Lots of space for calls, thermocell which is a big plus, etc. Very nice thick seat with 2 magnetic closures. The problems they had when they were first introduced seem to be corrected.

TJR

Alps super elite 4.0 w/ speed seat mod. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbhyman88

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 12, 2020, 04:48:09 PM
Not too many mention this vest anymore these days. I like the ol Tom ibeam 2.0. They don't make it anymore, but you can still get them. There were a couple in the classifieds here last time I looked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The past 2-3 years I've used the Ol Tom essentials 2.0 vest, similar setup to the I beam.  It has been a great light weight vest.  The only downsides to I've experienced were the week seat magnets, and small amount of back padding.  This year I'm excited to try the alps grand slam.  Gonna do the seat mod so it has the elastic like the cabelas vest.

etapia

Quote from: Marc on March 11, 2020, 03:53:30 PM
What kind of hunting are you doing (more stationary or more "run & gun" hunting?)
Are you a minimalist or a maximalist?  (I think most of us turkey hunters carry a lot more than we need)

I went with the Cabela's Tat'r vest, due to the fact that it was one of the few vests that fits a smaller person well...  However I like the vest.

The seat design pulls down and goes back into place very easily.
The pockets are well-designed for organization and storage of gear.
The vest seems to be rugged and is holding up well to my going through brush and over/under fences, etc.
It is a relatively quiet vest.
It is priced reasonably.

I like the designs of a lot of other vests, but they all fit me like a dress...    O'l Tom makes a number of vests reasonably priced that are organized and designed well...  But they do not fit me....
Marc, when did you pick up your tat'r? Is it the one size fits most model they are making now? Or an actual size? I've been thinking about ordering one but I am concerned this new sizing will be huge for a smaller framed person.

Jroddc

g8rvet

My son in law bought the Tenzing turkey vest last year and loves it.  I put it on and liked it as well.  I was thinking about getting a new vest and based on the opinions here and also having more than enough Cabelas points to pay for it, I pulled the trigger on the tat'r.  I should have it Monday and will fill it up and see what I think.  I hate retiring the old vest, it has toted a lot of birds out and been worn many a mile, but it was starting to fall apart.  I'll report back after a few trips. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TXTOM

Tuffonturkeys

I just bought an alps outdoorz diamondback vest in mossy oak bottomland..

Tennessee Lead

I purchased the Alpz Longspur Deluxe to use this year.
I have no hunting experience in it yet but I'm really liking the design of it while wearing it at home.

Tom007

As promised, I field tested the Badlands turkey vest. It functioned great, the seat is fantastic, speed seat, comfortable, out of the way. Pockets well layer out, great zipper quality. One concern the forum had was the camo pattern. It passed the test, the birds I shot in the big woods did not see me, no concerns. I give it an A. Thanks......

fallhnt

My worn out Super Elete 3. All I have.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

g8rvet

Our season is about done and I give the Tatr two thumbs up.  Love the organization and it is very comfortable. If you use the seat a lot (I carry a lounger) it is not the easiest to deploy unless you are young and thin (I am neither).  I think the no noise box call pocket is aces and the Thermacell fits perfectly in one of the front pockets.  Love the straps.  I started keeping a rough count of miles and I have to be over 20 at this point and still loving it. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Borsy

Big fan of the Cabela's vests. They are comfortable, durable, and the spead seat is great. Tat'r II and Minimalist are my favorites. Unfortunately, I believe the new sizing of the Tat'r II (OSFM) is closer to the old L/XL than the S/M size (which I prefer). The OSFM in the Tat'r II still fits me (I'm 5'6", 165 lbs.) better than many other vests out there that swallow me, however.

Magdump

How about no vest at all? 

I have found that a sling pack is, for me, the ideal tool for the job.  It might be for you as well.

My progression from when i started doing this turkey thing about 5 years ago:

Tac Tater 2
V
Tenzing
V
Long Spur
V
Avian x sling pack (for the last 2 seasons, never going back to a vest.)

Everything you need, nothing you don't. Light and fast.  I was a noisy bulky bloated turtle with my vests.  Now i am quieter and lighter and faster without all that stuff hanging on me.

Experiment, find your own truth.

MShillhunter

I love the Cabelas Tat'r.  Hate the new camo, but was fortunate to see someone on here found one in his local Cabelas in mossy oak so got him to send me one.   Back up just in case something happens to my current one, but I don't anticipate that happening help up really well over 5 or so seasons.

The speed seat is a game changer. Will never go back to something with a magnet again