turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi, Alabama

Started by Missouri hunter, March 08, 2020, 11:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missouri hunter

Any turkeys gobbling in Mississippi or Alabama yet? I went out to listen in Missouri this morning but it was a little windy out and I didn't hear any. Can't wait till they start getting more consistent!
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Rzrbac

Just got back from listening in SEMO. I heard exactly one gobble. Probably a little early yet where I'm at but it was a pretty morning even without the gobbles.

Spitten and drummen

I took a youth for our Mississippi youth opener yesterday. We are in Southwest Ms. heard one gobble once on limb. Got in close and set up. Called a little and nothing. 30 minutes pass and he gobbled a second time. Finally heard him drumming. Youth killed him. Took around 3 hours total. He was a nice 2 year old and there were 2 more with him. Only heard 2 gobbles the entire morning. Plenty of sign everywhere. It was really cold and windy yesterday. I dont think its really right quiet yet. They gobbled good in January but we had a mild winter over all. Talked to a few friends all over the state and their reports are similar.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wchadw

Central ms been cold and real windy. Warming up some today. Regular season starts March 14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouri hunter

I'm thinking about trying Mississippi to kick off the year. Just hoping they'll talk a little. I have killed quiet turkeys before though.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

ryanwatson0214

I heard 3 gobble a few times in MS Saturday morning, Sunday morning I went to a new area and the birds really gobbled good. Probably heard 60-70 gobbles Sunday morning.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: ryanwatson0214 on March 09, 2020, 07:07:26 PM
I heard 3 gobble a few times in MS Saturday morning, Sunday morning I went to a new area and the birds really gobbled good. Probably heard 60-70 gobbles Sunday morning.

Dang , what part of the state?
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Big Pine

Didn't make a peep in south west Alabama this morning

Mossyguy

Nothing this morning in East central Ms...

aclawrence

I didn't hear anything in north Alabama today. It was more windy and overcast than I was expecting. On a positive note I picked up one of my cameras and had some good bucks on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hughesjr60

I live in Indiana but am coming down to Alabama with the family for spring break and will hunt a couple of days. Anyway. I've gone out the last 2 Sunday's here in Indiana and have heard 5 or 6 turkeys gobbling their heads off on public ground. Our season doesn't come in until April 22. Talk about nuts!

Jstocks

Good hunting really isn't til the 2nd week of April where I hunt in Ms. that being said, I'll be there Saturday through Tuesday. Expecting a few gobbles and then hush mouthed strutting following hens all day. Mississippi is going to be more crowded opening week than ever this year because of the trick Bama pulled with their season opening a week later. I suspect hunting will decline at an even sharper rate due to increased pressure on an already declining population in one of the toughest states to hunt in the Union.

There will be birds gobbling. You just have to find the right one. They will be further along in their breeding cycle the further south you go in the state, but if you drop below the center East/West line, populations are poorer than the northern half of the state.

Haypatch

Took my jake out this morning and got on one gobbling on the roost... flew down and went silent.
Made a loop around where I thought he was headed and got in front of him and his 20 HENS!!! had him at 50 yrds but that's as close as he would come... he did answer my call's several times though.

Heard 3 birds total today.
North MS