OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Adhesive frames  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
Adhesive frames
« on: March 04, 2020, 04:11:06 PM »
Hey guys I got a new batch of frames and they are adhesive frames,  when I slide it under the reeds they obviously stick. Can you not peel the back off of  them? Or am I missing the boat here and am doing it all wrong? Thanks james.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Adhesive frames
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 12:21:26 AM »
You using jig or press? Or ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 03:34:11 AM »
A jig, the lil jiggy to be specific. 
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 04:48:24 AM »
You just have to avoid letting the frame touch the reeds until it's in place. At least that's what I do

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 07:24:28 AM »
I got one to work I didn't bend it over as far as usual and it got on there,  but needless to say I prefer the non adhesive! Thanks!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 08:00:46 AM »
What I do is cut a piece of the tape backing paper to the frame width and put it between the bottom of the frame (bent to about 45 degrees) and the reed stack,...slide the frame down and then pull the paper out the bottom.   Make the last minor adjustments in case the reeds are not positioned properly and close the frame.  (Of course, if you are putting back tension on the reeds, you need to do that before closing the frame)

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 09:46:35 PM »
What I do is cut a piece of the tape backing paper to the frame width and put it between the bottom of the frame (bent to about 45 degrees) and the reed stack,...slide the frame down and then pull the paper out the bottom.   Make the last minor adjustments in case the reeds are not positioned properly and close the frame.  (Of course, if you are putting back tension on the reeds, you need to do that before closing the frame)

Great so leave the tape on till you slide under the reeds then remove it ?

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 08:39:26 AM »

Great so leave the tape on till you slide under the reeds then remove it ?

Not on the frame itself.  I pull the protective tape off of the frame after bending it and before sliding it under the reeds.  You just have to put something between the bottom of the reeds and the frame there or like you said, the frame will catch on the reed materials and mess up the positioning of the reeds.  As I indicated, I use a piece of the backing for the call tapes for this (it is convenient and it has that shiny coating which makes it so the frame adhesive and the reeds will slide over it pretty easily. 

Cut a piece of that stuff just the width of the frame.  Slide it under the reed material and then slide the frame under that. Position the frame where it needs to be and then pull the paper out the bottom of the call.  ….Works great with the adhesive frames...

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 11:24:33 PM »
Great! Thank you sir

Offline zsully

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 08:56:46 PM »
I’m also new to mouth call building with the lil jiggy. I’m struggling with the adhesive frames too and no matter how closely I try to follow the directions in this post I’m having a hard time. Has anyone tried removing the backing from the frame and coating with a small amount of talcum powder or corn starch to get rid of the adhesive? I feel like this would be an easy way to fix this while I’m still learning to run this jig. Thoughts would be appreciated.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »
I’m also new to mouth call building with the lil jiggy. I’m struggling with the adhesive frames too and no matter how closely I try to follow the directions in this post I’m having a hard time. Has anyone tried removing the backing from the frame and coating with a small amount of talcum powder or corn starch to get rid of the adhesive? I feel like this would be an easy way to fix this while I’m still learning to run this jig. Thoughts would be appreciated.
that wouldn't hurt to try, I built the first one or two without even peeling the backing off