North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Wait..what?

Started by FullChoke, March 04, 2020, 01:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

What are the strangest things that you have seen while hunting?   :popcorn:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

zelmo1

:christmaswindow:I saw a weasel attack and kill a snowshoe hare while deer hunting. Nature, but never saw it before or after that day

FullChoke

One morning I was out squirrel hunting in a river bottom. I was slipping along glancing at the ground occasionally to watch where I was going and to keep an eye open for snakes. I came easing around a tree, glanced down and there right at my feet is a babies face in the leaves looking up at me! I don't get spooked real easily, but that really got me. I screamed like a girl gasped like a man, jumped back and looked at it more carefully. It was a large doll head that had been washed down in high water flooding, came to rest facing up and I just happened to stroll right up to where it was waiting for me.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

FullChoke

One morning I set out to hunt public land in an area where I had heard gobbling in the past. It was a long walk to this area so I left very early and it was real foggy that morning. I could barely see the sand road as I finally approached the side trail I was heading for. As I got up to it, I could barely make out something that looked humanlike standing motionless at the trail. As I got closer I could tell that it was a person, but not at all what I expected. It was a small 70 year old, white haired woman with a shotgun, dressed in camouflage. I stopped in my tracks. She looked a me and turned her head away. I walked up to her and whispered "Where did you come from?" There was no other vehicle at the gate that I parked at and the other end of the road was over a mile away. Still without looking at me and with a vague wave of her hand she said, "Over there." Not wanting to escalate anything, I asked her where she was going to hunt and with a shrug she motioned "Over there." OK, I'll go elsewhere. I took off down the road several hundred yards cut in to a beaver pond and listened. I didn't heard any gobbling that morning, so I sat down at a tree at a skid row and chilled. Sometime later I had a hen come feeding right by me so I watched in the hope that a gobbler would catch up to her. She fed for a while when she suddenly popped her head up and took off running. Seconds later here comes Grandma Moses walking along down through the woods. I see her stop, pick up a stick and start beating the ground with it. At this point I'm thinking it's either Alzheimers or she must be summoning forth the other haints from the underworld. I get up and walk up to her. I ask her about the stick beating stuff and she tells me that she was killing a snake. Likely story. When I tell her that she had run a turkey off just before then, she was shocked and didn't believe it. We departed company and I never saw here again. Public hunting, well it ain't boring.

Cheers  ;D

FC

3bailey3

two turtles making love!

zelmo1

Opening day of muzzle loader when I was 16, just watched Amityville Horror the night before. Sneaking into my stand, headlamp caught something reflective. It was a freshly slaughtered pigs head on a stump. No napping in the stand that day  :OGturkeyhead:

cramerhunts

Hunting near the southern border of our beloved country I have seen and experienced quite a few crazy things mostly involving smugglers of drugs and humans. It has drastically slowed down over the last few years but it always makes for some tense times during those encounters.

mightyjoeyoung

This was last fall season.  I was sitting in my treestand on November 6th watching for deer, but also ready to jump on the opportunity for a fall gobbler with my bow.  There were about 35 hens, 15 odd Jake's, 10 or 11 2 year olds and a half dozen serious longbeards on the farm I was hunting.  At daylight I could hear the birds waking up across the creek and to my right, yelps and clucks and cackles by the truckload, I see movement to my right.  A big doe working her way toward me.  She fed along, checking her surroundings often, but was calm.  When she was about 50 yards out she popped her head up and looked intently to her right back, bobbing her head and looking hard at something out of my vision.  She got nervous and moved along, never presenting me with a shot.  The whole time it sounded like a nwtf competition in the woods. About 5 minutes after she passed through I caught a turkey moving through the pines as it popped into view over the creek bank 80 yards to my right front, and then another, and another and another.  11 gobblers were feeding right to me.  At 50 yards I got ready, because as soon as one presented a shot he was catching a bolt once they crossed the 40 yard and in mark.  All of a sudden the woods EXPLODED, birds jumping and running g and flying in all directions.   Then I saw a dark shape running back and forth, rushing one bird and then another.  My first thought was coyote, but then the big dark body ran up a pine tree and lunged at a gobbler sitting on a limb alarm putting.   It was a Fisher, and a BIG ONE and turkey was on his menu.  After about 5 minutes of chasing one bird and then another, the gobblers had finally had enough and got out of dodge.  The big fisher stalked along the ground straight at me, stopping to sit up and look around every so often, finally coming to a big cherry tree about 10 feet from my stand.  He jump up on the tree and started climbing.  When he was about eye level with me he stopped, looked me dead in the eyes for about 15 seconds, almost dating me to say something and then proceeded up the tree to a big squirrel nest. Figuring o was about to watch him make a kill I just watched.  Apparently he had already killed and eaten the squirrel as he dug around in the nest a bit and finally settled in to take a nap, resting his head over the edge so he could watch me. Lol. After a couple hours of waiting and watching for deer or more birds I finally had to climb down because I was freezing in the 20° temps.   I have NEVER seen one in PA in my life until just a few years ago and that was in national forest land hours to the south and certainly never in NW, PA.  I hear guys say fishers won't hunt turkeys and that day was proof they don't know what they're talking about.  Not only will they actively hunt them, since then I've found bird carcasses at the bases of roost trees with fisher tracks all around them. I can neither confirm, nor deny that a bolt came off my crossbow that day and it wasnt at a deer or turkey....
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.