Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mentoring is its own reward

Started by FullChoke, March 03, 2020, 04:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

This Saturday is opening day for youth here in Mississippi and every year I eagerly await the photos on our state bulletin boards of beaming youngsters fanning tail feathers like the big boys.

I urge anyone who has a young eager candidate to take them to the woods this year and introduce them to this wonderful sport. They may take to it, they may not. Each kid is different and their interests may not be predictable, but at least try.

We might have them as a Roaring 20's team mate in the future.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cramerhunts

I look forward to the youth opener probably more than my own season openers. Nothing more rewarding then getting them started right and watching them grow in the sport.

zelmo1

Most fun is mentoring kids and new hunters, hands down  :funnyturkey:

FullChoke

I remember the first time I took my grandson turkey hunting. When we got near the slough we were going to start at, one started gobbling on the limb in total darkness. He had never heard one before and couldn't quite get his mind around the sound. Fortunately the birds were quite vocal that morning and although we didn't call one to us that morning, he got quite an earful. I loved just being out there in the middle of all of that with him.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mightyjoeyoung

Every year I try to take out a mentored youth hunter.  This year I'm not sure if that's going to happen BUT...I'm involved with Wounded Heroes Hunting Camp this year and my "mentored hunt" will apparently be in the form of a navy recruiter that's never been hunting.  Lol. Should be an interesting experience.  Lol. I am also taking a wounded warrior on a hunt in NY May 16th and I find myself really looking forward to that hunt. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

3seasons

Well even though I'm working 13hr nights 6 nights a week I was able to get out and help a buddy of mine take his 8yr old boy and his 12yr old daughter. Birds gobbled a couple times on the roost then maybe 2 times on the ground.  Heard 4 in all directions.  It got quiet after fly down so we sat patiently calling softly every so often.  I no more than reached up and turned off my camera than out pops a head then another then 6 more. We had 8 hens standing at 15yds from us and we couldn't move.  Then I hear it, drumming and he is close.  I tell Ty to get ready but he is frozen because of the hens. Then after what seemed like forever (5min) I see the tips of his fan moving from left to right just over the rise in the hill. He is trying to flank his hens.  I tell Ty to get his gun up and to aim right  way right  Every so often you could see his head looking then just his tips. Ty finally got twisted around an is now leaning on me and is able to brace his 20ga on a small sapling.  I make a few soft calls and ask him if he can see the turkeys head when he raises it to look at us.  He said he could see it and I told to put the dot on it and squeeze the trigger. My next call I hear the safety click and then boom. His first turkey was flopping just over the hill from us.  Double beard 8 3\4" and 5 3\8"   1" daggers for spurs and weighed 19lbs. He was pumped  He cracked me up though, after I got done dryheaving I said dang Ty you sure are calm, to which he replied "well I'm calm because, well I like shooting" LOL cracked me and his dad up.  He's a stone cold killer.   Just though I'd share. 
Mississippi youth season started out pretty dang good.   

xarcher

Great job talking him thru it. Was he shaking? 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

3seasons

Quote from: xarcher on March 08, 2020, 06:39:55 AMWas he shaking?

Naw that little dude was way cooler that I was.  I had to step on part of my blind to pull it down enough for him to see over it. Then I had to pull some of it down with my hand. I got to shaking so bad the blind material was shaking like the wind was blowing 20mph. He loves it though he's eat up with any type of hunting.

FullChoke

Great job. I'm sure that Stone Cold is hooked now.

Cheers  ;D

FC

harleytom

Well done! Congrats to you and the young man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TKE921

I will be taking my little buddy out again this Apr 4th and 5th

3bailey3

cramerhunts

I love it! Congratulations to the young man and great job. I get all tore up with excitement still myself.