OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Purple slate

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 02, 2020, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I have about every surface pot call you can think of but lack a purple slate. For those that have one , what kind of pitch and rasp does it have compared to other slate? Also who makes a good purple slate pot call? Thanks.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 02, 2020, 08:50:30 PM
I have about every surface pot call you can think of but lack a purple slate. For those that have one , what kind of pitch and rasp does it have compared to other slate? Also who makes a good purple slate pot call? Thanks.
Mark Cornelius make a fine one, sound file on his Facebook.. I ask Buster about one and he said it's so much like glass .. I'm interested also , in what others think...

Spitten and drummen

The primos purple haze is a cheap crystal surface call in a plastic pot????. I asked about purple slate.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Tennessee Lead

In the mailbox this evening was a purple slate rainbow poplar trough call from Nathan Taylor Higher Calling
I have played it a good bit tonight.
I really like the tone it has. Granted it's not a pot call but it has to me a low raspy tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

No problem. Its a crystal call.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

drk9988

I think purple had a bit of a lower tone. Purple over glass kinda reminds me of a slate over copper without the metal sound board.

HookedonHooks

Runs real similar to red just a little lower and raspier. Just as the red is a step down in tone and step up in rasp from green, I'd say purple is a pretty equal step to the red, being the deepest and raspiest.

Pat Strawser and Mark Cornelius are both making a killer. I have  a fantastic one from Paul Durham as well but he told me doesn't have any more and didn't plan on getting more because of consistency issues with the purple specifically.

IMO you're not missing out on much, but from a collection standpoint it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a couple of the good ones just because.

Tyoung

I have one from Matt Vancise of High Class Calls that sounds pretty good and will be my go to slate call.

Gog1015

I have one on order from Mark Cornelius which he placed with in Nashville, cherry pot purple slate. He said it is close to the old school good grey slate that he used to be able to get.

MDTOM84

I have a MAC purple slate in a cherry pot, I'm more of a glass surface kind of guy but this purple slate is fantastic. Great time and plenty of rasp

BigSlam51

Spitten and drummen

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have never actually seen purple slate so is it actually purple or like green and grey in color. If anyone has a pic I would appreciate you posting a pic. I talked to Mark last night and got on his list for one. I have a friend thats a popular call builder that I am talking into making me one also when he can get around to it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

BigSlam51

Looks more grayish in that pic but it is actually on the purple side

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: BigSlam51 on March 03, 2020, 09:07:39 AM
Looks more grayish in that pic but it is actually on the purple side

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Nice. Thanks for the pic.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"