OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Not so great calls

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 02, 2020, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Figured with all the post popping up about calls , calling ect. That I would start this. I have waaay too many calls and every year I find a call in my collection that I pull out and run. I then say to myself " why in the world am I not hunting this". It seems that when I first run the call and it doesnt jump out to me , then I put it in my display. I have had calls that I did not really care for at first but then 6 or 8 months later , I am amazed. It almost seems that it has gotten better. Is it me or have any of you guys done the same. Example , i have a glass call in a zebrawood pot that I pulled out the other day. I pull out my favorite strikers and start running it. A smile came across my face and I say its hitting the woods this year. When I first got it , I ran a dozen strikers on it for 4 or 5 days. Mind you , a couple of the strikers I ran on it 8 months ago included. It sounds as it got better. May all be in my head , so I started this post. What say you.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

MK M GOBL

Had that happen both ways, some of it came down to "where" it was being played. Now I only judge its sound from in the timber.
I've had calls that sounded great when I was buying, got it out hunting and seemed it lost its tone... My thought is that the sound it was making was coming off surfaces making it sound that way, then out in the timber the change. I have a tote of calls I don't use and donate them out to kids who I start out turkey hunting.

My only call that sounds as good or better than when I bought it is my CODY World Class Slate! From when I first had it till now that call has been the end of more turkeys then all my other calls put together.

"We only build so many of these calls a year...WE DON'T WANT ALL THE TURKEYS KILLED AT ONE TIME!"

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

I think some days you hear different tones and sounds better than others. It takes playing time and confidence to decided if that call is worthy of hunting time in my opinion.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 02, 2020, 07:10:44 PM
Had that happen both ways, some of it came down to "where" it was being played. Now I only judge its sound from in the timber.
I've had calls that sounded great when I was buying, got it out hunting and seemed it lost its tone... My thought is that the sound it was making was coming off surfaces making it sound that way, then out in the timber the change. I have a tote of calls I don't use and donate them out to kids who I start out turkey hunting.

My only call that sounds as good or better than when I bought it is my CODY World Class Slate! From when I first had it till now that call has been the end of more turkeys then all my other calls put together.

"We only build so many of these calls a year...WE DON'T WANT ALL THE TURKEYS KILLED AT ONE TIME!"

MK M GOBL

Agreed. I always play every call outside. I do not judge a call inside. When I am buying calls at unicoi , I take them outside first. I learned that some calls sound terrible inside but really sounds good outside and vice versa. I just have experienced changes in calls overtime. Some get better and some worse.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

TTG

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 02, 2020, 07:28:32 PM
I think some days you hear different tones and sounds better than others. It takes playing time and confidence to decided if that call is worthy of hunting time in my opinion.

I've had this thought myself. But I also will not put a call in the vest without using it outside first.

Yoder409

Wood pot calls can, and some will, mature with age.  Some for the better.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 02, 2020, 08:22:11 PM

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Really why I made this post. To get others thoughts on that. Thanks
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 02, 2020, 08:44:09 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on March 02, 2020, 08:22:11 PM

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Really why I made this post. To get others thoughts on that. Thanks
They age like a fine bottle of wine .. But i don't drink wine ...

turkey_picker

I guess I need to get my storage box, full of old calls I didn't think sounded right, and try them again ::)

Yelper

I have more box calls that sound better a year or two after I got them and seem to keep getting better with age. I haven't had the same results with pot calls.

dzsmith

a lot of calls you buy are still somewhat green if they are handmade and freshly made. They may be dry enough to cut the wood without burning it etc...but they aren't always completely dry. after sitting idle for a long time they sometimes sound better. I guess there is also the possibility that some of it is in our heads...
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Tom007

Seems like the Birmingham Lynch boxes sound better than the others. Maybe it's the age of the wood? They just sound better..... be well
"Solo hunter"

eggshell

Yeah I agree on wood calls. I had someone send me a vibrating tongue to try and I didn't like it so it went in a drawer for probably 3 years and one day I saw it and thought I'd just try it again and I was just like you...dang why did I not like this call. I do think it was green when I got it.

Spitten and drummen

Thanks for all the replies. I do believe that not being fully dried may have something to do with it as well as in our heads also.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

trad bow

Wood calls will change with the weather as the wood can and will absorb moisture if not properly sealed. As wood ages it changes the sound of a few of my calls especially those made of a denser wood. Again it could be just my ear as the older I get my hearing has changed.