OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts On Favorite Calls

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 02, 2020, 09:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

And there you go, telling everybody.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tom007

Amen my brothers, good luck this spring...

MK M GOBL

So when I first started to learn to call it was on a mouth call and a slate call. I had the best possible teachers I could have had. My dad had some "bronze breasted" farm turkeys, I would sit, walk and listen to them birds for hours. Watched what they did, how they moved, how they reacted to predators. Then I got into watching body ques, learning why/when they strut, breed, dominance/social structure, the everyday of what they did. I lived with them birds as I was learning, I heard so many little different sounds them birds made, I still remember the day I seen/heard of that "Squealing Hen" call they made and laughed to myself because when a real hen did it the volume of that call was nowhere to what it was being sold as... Not to say I didn't get "taken" before when I was younger and listened to those "pros" telling me what worked (outdoor shows / commercials). I learned that lesson quickly.

Rhythm / Cadence / Turkey Talk or whatever you call it is they key, some of them birds sounded so bad, some were singing songs, but they spoke the same language.

So the "Holy Grail" does exist! I own it, you own it we all in some form own it and it's different for each of us. "My" Holy Grail is my CODY World Class Slate, it has been the end of more turkeys than all of the calls I have owned. It's up to you to figure out yours. Like what's been said I have complete confidence in that call, I know how to run it and what to say and when to say it.

Now just being able to run a call is not the end all of turkey hunting, It still weighs heavy with me first is woodsmanship and knowing your quarry, then add in the skill of calling and there you have it.

MK M GOBL

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: silvestris on March 02, 2020, 07:24:05 PM
Silvestris, I should have clarified. He was speaking of a specific trumpet made by a call maker in my local area, not trumpets in general. It's pretty well established on this board that trumpets are turkey killers. Not really letting any big cat out of the bag with that statement. However, the maker of this particular trumpet is purposely unnamed in this post, and will remain so. However, I don't necessarily believe this mans trumpets kill any more turkeys than other well known makers calls. It's simply the call this gentleman had confidence in, and he was passing advice on to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

wvmntnhick

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 02, 2020, 08:47:55 PM
Quote from: silvestris on March 02, 2020, 07:24:05 PM
Silvestris, I should have clarified. He was speaking of a specific trumpet made by a call maker in my local area, not trumpets in general. It's pretty well established on this board that trumpets are turkey killers. Not really letting any big cat out of the bag with that statement. However, the maker of this particular trumpet is purposely unnamed in this post, and will remain so. However, I don't necessarily believe this mans trumpets kill any more turkeys than other well known makers calls. It's simply the call this gentleman had confidence in, and he was passing advice on to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'd agree that trumpets are killers. In my hands, a turkey is pretty likely to die of laughter when they hear my trumpet skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtsmith3

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 02, 2020, 06:20:33 PM
The Primos Box Cutter mentioned above was quite literally my favorite call for the longest time and I wish I hadn't lost it. I swear I'd use it over the custom boxes I use now if I could find it. Was it better? Probably not. Did I have a pile of confidence in it? YES!!!  And that's the key. Find a call you've got confidence in. That's your holy grail. Why? Because it's the one you'll be using when you kill your birds.

I bought a new one at Big 5 last season. There are a few of them still out there. You can search Big 5 online for locations near you that have them.
https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/Primos+Box-Cutter-Turkey-Box-Call/0330139540009/_/A-3201191
Nobody said you have to be good to have fun.

1iagobblergetter

As stated above I don't really believe in the call of all calls either. I do believe after you make a kill or two with a certain call it's more  apt to be used even more and after you generate several kills with that certain call your going to have alot more confidence when using it and it will probably be used more than others that may be just as good or better,but dont get used near as much.
Also as stated avoid the broken record syndrome. Put some feeling into calling.
Get the calls out before season and knock the dust off of them and yourself..

a_jabbo

Solid advice. All turkey's sound different to one another, and all callers will sound different. You can call and call to a turkey and never get him. The next guy comes in, makes a couple yelps, and the same bird comes in on a string.

Greg Massey

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 02, 2020, 11:25:45 PM
As stated above I don't really believe in the call of all calls either. I do believe after you make a kill or two with a certain call it's more  apt to be used even more and after you generate several kills with that certain call your going to have alot more confidence when using it and it will probably be used more than others that may be just as good or better,but dont get used near as much.
Also as stated avoid the broken record syndrome. Put some feeling into calling.
Get the calls out before season and knock the dust off of them and yourself..
X2 .. I agree never put all your turkey eggs in one call. I always use a variety of calls , sure i have confidence in any of my variety of calls killing birds on a given day. But i have gotten my Butt whipped also by these turkeys.