OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Talk about friends . . .

Started by sugarray, May 10, 2011, 01:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

I just got an email from my wife's cousin.  He and I have turkey hunted the past 2 years and he said he couldn't hunt this year.  I took him to a private farm I hunt last year, but we didn't have any success.

He evidently went to the owner and got permission to hunt and killed a bird this morning.  I am so mad at him for stepping in on me like that, that I can't hardly see straight.  You try to be nice and get a place for you and your kids to hunt and then someone sneaks in the back door on you like this.  Man, I am just livid.  The owner would never deny anyone permission to hunt, but to me it is the principal that you don't hunt in on your buddies like that.

Oh well, lesson learned I guess.

LX_Trkyhntr

That stinks for sure!!  I can't understand why people can't just respect each other!  I don't blame you one bit for being hot under the collar about this!  I personally would have no problem telling the "friend" EXACTLY what I thought about it!

Monday of last week I went to OK to call a turkey for a friend.  When we were getting ready to leave the landowner told me to come back anytime.  I would never even think about going back without my buddy, even though the landowner told me to.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

turkey slayer

I know how you feel! I would be pissed to!!! some people will screw anyone even family just for a turkey >:(
:character0029: :character0029: :character0029:

Flydown

drenalinld

Is this guy a veteran turkey hunter? Some newbies just have no idea how meaningful and hard to find permission for hunting ground can be, but it sounds like this guy was deliberately trying to cut you off. Classless! Just remember, what goes around definitely comes around.

sugarray

He has been hunting on and off for more than 20 years, but just killed his first bird 2 years ago.  So veteran yep in my book.  Long time deer hunter and comes in every year to hunt with my FIL

drenalinld

That's pretty low, for sure. I've had guys beg me to help them find or kill a turkey in the past and when I take them to a hard to access area of public ground they would beat me to it the following season.

GOLD HUNTER

I know how you feel! i don't have a private farm to hunt on BUT  I'd be pissed to!!!

i'd give him my 2$ worth  :wave:

brian

TRKYHTR

I hate to hear that Ray. I've had it happen as well. You will find out who your friends are real quick. I would definitely let him know you aren't happy about it and I wouldn't hunt with him anymore. Thats just me. If you can't trust somebody why hunt with them.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkey_slayer

I dont have any private except what my buddies can take me on and I would never ever think about going without them even though 1 land owner told me to come back any time.  I have several national forest spots and learned a long time ago who the REAL friends were.  Not many people, including family, you can take to areas and expect it to be kept a secret.

chatterbox

I hear you Ray. I have a buddy of mine who is just getting into turkey hunting. He has 3 nice longbeards on his property, and told me I could hunt there anytime, but I wouldn't think about hunting a turkey there unless he was with me.
We're going tommorow together, and I wouldn't have it any other way. You don't undercut your friends like that.
He's no friend, Ray. Like Joe said. You find out pretty quickly who your friends are.

savduck

There is a reason why the old timers wouldnt say a peep or teach you a thing about turkey hunting. It took years for you to learn their trust and get in their circle, and even then they didnt show you all the tricks.  I started back when you didnt share the woods with a lot of folks in turkey season. In fact seeing one person would get  me all bothered. Ive lost hair over all the folks in the woods now days. This new internet age and all the "loose lips" over the last few years are gonna lead to a lot more examples like yours.

I think the cousin in law did you wrong and I wouldnt hunt with him again. I think you learned a lesson the way the old timers would have let it go down. Take your kid and Dad and let the others fend for themselves.
Georgia Boy

fl panhandler

You said he comes down and hunt with you FIL every year.  I would definetly let him know how this "friend" did you.  Sorry he stabbed you in the back.  He's a piss ant in my book.
Rick

Jay

That's one of the cardinal sins in hunting, and is intolerable. He'd be done as a hunting buddy with me.

hobbes

This is the very reason some folks are so secretive about where they hunt and are so selective about who its with, if anyone.

Years ago my brother had a very similar situation with a duck hunting spot and a younger cousin of ours.  He took him in there, they killed some ducks.  The cousin returns with three buddies the next weekend and they shoot the place up a lot.  I was deer hunting nearby, so heard the nonstop volleys of shooting.  I made the mistake of mentioning to my brother who completely loses it and makes several phone calls raising all kinds of heck.  Was my brother justified........in his eyes yes.  However, my young cousin just liked hunting.  It was never life and death like it is for my brother and myself.  He honestly did not think a thing about it and in no way was trying to pull a fast one.  The damage my brother did by raising the heck he did within the family was not worth it.  You can imagine who came out looking like the jerk, and it wasn't my cousin.

I'm just saying I wouldn't turn it into a confrontation.  I wouldn't go to any lengths to hunt with him again....but a confrontation will turn you into the jack.... in the family that puts your hunting above the rest of the family.  Unless your family is 100% hardcore hunters who understand, especially your inlaws, your going to lose.

Just my opinion.