OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Field setup  (Read 2237 times)

Offline hvacrbuildernc

Field setup
« on: March 01, 2020, 02:07:22 PM »
Hey all,
  I may have an opportunity to hunt a small area this year but have some questions about the setup. I’m told that turkeys are entering this field  at the same location, 10-12 numbered flock, not sure about genders ratio( man just says he’s been seeing a bunch of turkey. They are entering the same general area each time. I will not be able to setup in the woods next to the field. I’m hoping to setup a cam very soon as season here in NCis a little over a month away but have a few questions.
- I have been told blinds in open fields don’t seem to spook turkeys, any experience or truth to this?
-Can turkeys be patterned somewhat similiar to deer and with a month before season Is this probably a winter feeding pattern and likely to change before season kicks in?
- would decoys be a good idea to invest in and what setup would be suggested?
- any call technique suggestions or just keep quiet?

This is my second season and I haven’t tried still hunting turkeys before so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
Re: Field setup
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 08:09:33 PM »
Setting up in a field, isn't a slam dunk.  Feeding patterns change.  And the birds normally won't do what you want.  With our season, here in NC over a month away, I would try to pattern their movements from a distance from 2 weeks out to a day before our opener on the 11th.  If the birds are entering the field at a predetermined location everyday then put up a pop up blind in the field on Friday the 10th and get in there early Saturday morning (the blind won't bother them at all).  You can try decoys but many times they will skirt them.  It's a CRAP shoot.  It's very hard to figure out what's going on in that walnut sized brain.  If all the stars line up, you maybe down to 1 tag Saturday morning.  Good Luck and keep me posted on the outcome!

Offline hvacrbuildernc

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 08:46:03 PM »
Thanks for that, just got confirmation that the spot is mine to hunt. Getting the cam set this week to see how there movement changes this month. Planning on being out at least an hour before sunup on opening same as I do with deer. Feeling a little more prepared this year, next weekend is gonna be for verifying pattern. Have a feeling this gonna seem like a long month.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:50:54 PM »
This will be 30 years for me hunting "field" birds and started using Double Bull Blinds in 2007. There are a few things with a blind I have "rules" I go by, even more in hunting decoys "right"

So I setup a blind as a diamond to your set, NOT a square. Next is think strong side for the kill spot/shot, then morning or evening hunt (sun in the blind not so good) now you need to make sure the blind behind you is blacked out, no stray light (this can/will get you busted), is the blind going to be out days before the hunt? Making sure of having it staked down right is another key point, snow a possibility? It can crush a blind unless you stabilize roof. After all that make sure you have the right chair in the blind, one too tall you'll be having to scrouch down to see/shoot (check this out before your in the field) Keep the bbl in the blind, make sure chair is placed right so you can swing the gun "in" the blind.

As far as where to set, yup keep scouting to learn if that enter/exit remains same, depending on that field and it's terrain I always set to a "crown" on the edge closest to that point. You can set a blind right in the middle of a field and birds will go right by it.

Sounds like you are good with using decoys I'll put this link here: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html
There's a lot to hunting decoys "right".

MK M GOBL

Offline hvacrbuildernc

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 09:59:42 PM »
Thanks, I’ve still got them every other day at the same spot but putting a second cam up this week to see where exactly there coming from so I can try to find if there roosting nearby or traveling from another property. I’m about 30 yds from a pond so not sure if there on the edge on my side or traveling around it.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 09:24:00 AM »
A screen shot of the property and the borders of what you are permitted to hunt would help greatly with size of field, shape of field and woods, rolling/flat terrain, etc.

What you do know is that turkeys are coming to that field daily without any calling and without decoys. That's huge. All you have to do is NOT mess that up.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
Builder, you in Eastern NC?

Offline hvacrbuildernc

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 05:36:26 PM »
Builder, you in Eastern NC?
I’m in central, triad area

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 05:55:49 PM »
We were out today fertilizing our clover plots on our lease and the birds were in the fields.  Gobblers are strutting but the flocks haven't broken up yet.  20+ birds in the flocks.  Keep up your scouting, things will change in about 2-3 weeks.  Good Luck to you.  Hope CV doesn't screw this up!

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 07:24:42 AM »
I don't use a blind but I would think installing ear plugs prior to the shot would be a good thing to do.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
What you do know is that turkeys are coming to that field daily without any calling and without decoys. That's huge. All you have to do is NOT mess that up.

This,...and I would add that, for me personally, in your situation, I would feel much more "rewarded" in my hunt by using the information you have gleaned from your pre-season scouting to establish a "natural" set-up location in the area I thought the birds would come from, and then set up there and just try to call the birds without any of the "artificial" stuff involved.  I think your odds are just as good.  But that's just "me",...not trying to be argumentative about the tent blind and decoy discussion. Do it the way you wanna....

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 10:03:44 AM »
I would concentrate on entry points into the field/field(s) you plan to hunt.  This may be the season that has a huge learning curve for you since it sounds like a new area for you to hunt but I would start with the intel you have and monitor from there.  You may have to do a hail mary hunt and see for yourself what they do.  I would set up against good cover and brush it in if you want to (i don't always), I keep my back window closed except for a small slit I'll keep unzipped so I can peek out behind me but for the most part I'm setting up against some type of cover behind me so those shots are out of the question.  I sit at the back of the blind so I don't stick out and I keep my front and side windows unzipped enough so I can get my gun out of them easily and still keep myself from being to exposed.  I wear the camo I would wear in the woods and I'm cautious about movement once I have a bird coming in.  99.9% of the time I have 2 hen dekes about 20 yards from the blind in a spot that will allow for shots out of all 3 windows.  I call about every fifteen minutes and vary between soft calling like feeding turkeys and throw in some loud yelping and cutting from time to time.  You may sit for one hour and you may sit for 5 hours but if your in a spot where you know they'll come into your patience will be rewarded.  I use an Ameristep doghouse blind, it's the old realtree advantage pattern and a folding camp chair like you take to your kids ballgames.