OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

PA Season

Started by Cutt, May 10, 2011, 12:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

This has been a weird year for me.

I shot a jake the 1st monday.  Bumped into him at 10am.  By the time i shot him it was 1130.  The woods were alive as he and the 2 other he was with were going nuts.  Also had another lone bird in the distance going nuts as well.  This past Friday I missed a LB that was with another lb and a jake.  Did not hear another one for nearly 4 hours and found 2 at 1136.  Timed out on them.

I did see a suspected turkey egg shell on a logging road (5/3) in Forest county.  Looks like the preds got to it. 

I did note this year that all my luck was with aggressive calling.  I am hoping these next 2 weeks really change things up.  I really think our lack of spring changed things around.

Cluck more, yelp less

TrackeySauresRex

I hunt the north east part of the state. I hunted the last 3 days,These were my first this season. I had at least 5 toms roosting together (like you said). I also couldn't find the 10/11 am bird gobbling as well. It was all am action. One day the crows got them going around 10. That was it. I hope the peak is the later part as well.
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Devastator

well as bad as the season was i had my chance yesterday and missed.something spooked the 2 longbeards and i took a chance shot and blew it.went back to the same spot this morning and 1 of them came in strutting to it's death song from my hooks devastator.heard of a few guys that got into them yesterday also.thanks scott hook for making an awesome mouth call...

anthonyjhallen

They seem to be firing on all 8 here in MD the past few days.

TauntoHawk

first two days of PA's season I worked birds from dawn til noon. Shot a nice bird at 6:00am first monday and then called for a friend. birds would gobble all morning but they all had hens and were tough to pull in.

NY went the same way but without wrapping my tag on anything. hundreds of gobbles on the roost, some mornings they would go silent on the ground others theyd gobble like crazy til 8ish but they never seemed to loss their hens through out the whole day. Missed on Monday morning so thats my fault but it wasnt like years past where we could call multiple birds in each day. im going to give it a week and try again later in the season. not wasting all my vacation now and there will be plenty of birds left by the last week.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fullfan

While working tonight I saw 13 mature gobblers out strutting. Not all together, in a 50 mile ride. Every one had at least 2 hens, one on boy had 9. If I was hunting I know who I would be after.

Keep on em boys, the best is yet to come.......
Don't gobble at me...

Spring Creek Calls

I experienced a lot of what you guys are talking about here in MI. Toms were still roosting with hens so I decided to hunt second shift. Found a longbeard alone gobbling near a green field and he cooperated. Shot him at12:45. Still have an IN tag but that is over tomorrow and I'm caring for my elderly parents this weekend so I need a new hunting state! Maybe PA.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Gobblez on May 14, 2011, 08:19:27 AM
I experienced a lot of what you guys are talking about here in MI. Toms were still roosting with hens so I decided to hunt second shift. Found a longbeard alone gobbling near a green field and he cooperated. Shot him at12:45. Still have an IN tag but that is over tomorrow and I'm caring for my elderly parents this weekend so I need a new hunting state! Maybe PA.

The 2nd shift starts today in Pa. Thats gonna be interesting because,I've never hunted them in the afternoon in the spring.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

schuylkillspur

Just returned from a week in New York. Birds are henned up big time seen birds with as many as nine hens on thursday.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Devastator

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on May 14, 2011, 09:13:59 AM
Quote from: Gobblez on May 14, 2011, 08:19:27 AM

The 2nd shift starts today in Pa. Thats gonna be interesting because,I've never hunted them in the afternoon in the spring.
read your regulations book,the all day hunt starts on mon. the 16th.i saw 2 trucks parked along the roads on the way home tonight from work.page 35.it states 1/2 hour before sunrise until noon from the opening day THROUGH the 3rd sat..then 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset for the remainder of the season.ALL DAY HUNTING STARTS ON MONDAY THE 16TH.thats the way i read it.

Ol'Mossy

You're right, it doesn't start until the 16th

M,Yingling

Yep monday  :icon_thumright:,,,,,, Found one bird this morning worked at him for 2 1/2 hours ,,had him at 20 steps turns out be jake (had fun pulling him in ),,,gave him a pass today  :icon_thumright:  Couldnt see the spurs starting to get greened up in the woods
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TauntoHawk

Quote from: PaTurkHntr on May 14, 2011, 04:56:11 PM
You're right, it doesn't start until the 16th

WOW good thing, haha I took a buddy out today and planned on all day hunting but he killed a Jake (first bird) at 7:30 so we got in before it rained too much
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

clarksvalley

i hear ha, about those jakes got into some last saturday could of killed one and decided to pass.killed a nice long beard on may 10.
got on some birds this saturday once the fog cleared out could tell they were jakes (choppy gobble)didn`t come into range but was fun working them.by the number of jakes i`m running into there should be a good crop of two year olds next year.i`m going to try it
after work this week if the weather holds out,never really had much luck hearing them gobble in the evening.hunted ks,ia,ne before and you can hunt all day only killed one gobbler in the evening,but being out in the woods is better than sitting at home cutting grass.

nannas guide

I have to agree with most of you. I'm hunting northwestern PA. I have seen a lot of hens by themselves, and gobblers by themselves. If I have seen hens and gobblers together it was a hen walking and a gobbler trying to catch up to her. I haven't seen any interest in hens moving towards the gobblers. Most of the gobbling that I have heard was in the tree, or shortly after they have hit the ground. Last Saturday I listened to gobblers answer each other, As one would gobble another would answer in the distance. When I would call none would respond immediately which told me they really weren't answering me if they responded. I have sat patiently the rest of the mornings only to hear one or two separate gobbles the rest of the morning.
This Saturday I had a hot gobbler who probably gobbled 100 times. If a crow called he answered with hostility and there were a lot of crows calling. He was also answering my calls, as that became more apparent when the crows flew off. He came in, but very quiet the last 100 yards. He wasn't struttin, and he wasn't committed.
People are getting gobblers, but 99% are catchin as they flew down or ambush them on their known routes. They aren't calling them in, at least not by my definition of calling them in.
I'm anxiously waiting for that gobbler that gets hot in the late afternoon, or the one that struts right into my set like he own's the world. I think I have to wait though.
There are two types of hunters; normal hunters and turkey hunters.