turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lost my family hunting spot today

Started by kytrkyhntr, February 26, 2020, 01:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

Well, with a recent passing in my family the inevitable has arrived. I was notified this morning that there would be no more hunting on the farm as they prepare to sell. I've spent the last 20 years hunting turkeys on this farm and it sure sucks knowing I will no longer be hunting turkeys on the same farm I called in my first one and killed it on. A lot of first and certainly an emotional day for me. I'm sure you've all delt with this situation before. Sure does suck and I hope nobody here has to go through it! Especially a month and a half prior to the season.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

USMC0331

I hope your next spot you find is just as good or better!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

turkeyhunter91

i hate losing spots, i have lost a few the last year or so. hopefully you will find another good spot and have some good hunts this spring.

Candyman

I have lost spots before too.  Few years ago I went back to the place where I killed my first longbeard many many years ago.  I killed a longbeard in those woods last year too and now it's a 70 acre clear cut!  Made me sick to my stomach when I found out my Aunt was clear cutting that spot. There are pretty woods all around it but I will not see the roost tree or the tree I sat by ever again. I remember what it looked like but it's sad....

Hopefully you will find another spot to make more memories.

rdjustham

That sucks!  I went through it last year two weeks into the season and havent found a replacement close to home yet.  Finding spots in South Florida is almost impossible.

Greg Massey

Sorry to hear you have lost the family hunting place ...good luck with finding new place ...

Haypatch

Man that definitely stinks!!! I lost the place I grew up hunting a couple yrs ago and it was a hard pill to swallow ... 30 yrs hunting a place and lots of 1st was enough to cause a tear or 2 to fall!  Hope it works out for you and you find a place with lots of gobbling!!

Timmer

Sorry to hear.  I received similar news this year, although I still get to hunt this spring.  It is getting harder and harder to find good land as time goes on.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

guesswho

I hate to hear that.  Any chance of buying it yourself, or splitting it with another family member or friend?   Or possibly leasing it? 

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

spaightlabs

Quote from: guesswho on February 26, 2020, 03:37:24 PM
I hate to hear that.  Any chance of buying it yourself, or splitting it with another family member or friend?   Or possibly leasing it? 

Man, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Depending on the family and how high y'all are maybe there is an option for them to carry it?  Get creative.

Turkeyman

Old and true saying..."If you don't own it, you will lose it." We've all been there.

TonyTurk

It stinks to lose a good spot, mostly because it's getting harder and harder to replace it with another good spot

kytrkyhntr

Quote from: spaightlabs on February 26, 2020, 03:58:28 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 26, 2020, 03:37:24 PM

Man, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Depending on the family and how high y'all are maybe there is an option for them to carry it?  Get creative.

I have tried every way possible to try to talk myself into it. The farm it's self is 3 hours from where I live with and only use itd be to me is hunting. My family that farms are mostly getting out of it and leading their farm rights. The farm is hard to get to so you can't get much equipment back there easily. It sucks all the way around
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

ddturkeyhunter

[/quote]

I have tried every way possible to try to talk myself into it. The farm it's self is 3 hours from where I live with and only use itd be to me is hunting. My family that farms are mostly getting out of it and leading their farm rights. The farm is hard to get to so you can't get much equipment back there easily. It sucks all the way around
[/quote]
I really think you should buy it if there is any way you can do it financially. Buy it your self if possible and with other if no other way. If you do buy it with someone else get land use agreements and every thing settled right at the start. I own land with my two other brothers and we did not have anything in writting from the start. If I don't die before my older brouther dose, and his son becomes my partner, there may be problems. Things to think about but buy the land, if you can.

zelmo1

Sweet talk the new owner for permission to hunt there. Pull on the old heart strings, every time you lose a spot it will never come back. I bring my 12 year old daughter with me when I ask for permission on new properties. It works , people find it harder to refuse a smiling kid. I always bring an info card with me giving the landowner every piece of info I can to put them at ease. I take ownership of the land in respect to the safety and cleanliness. I have hauled many bags of trash out of the woods, mostly along the road, to show my commitment to keeping the land as natural as possible. I did lose a big chunk of my best spot due to clear cutting. It happens and does suck. Try the new owners, if it isn't sold by the opener, I don't see why you cant hunt there one more year. Al Baker