OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YOUNG HUNTER SCORES!

Started by Spring Creek Calls, May 10, 2011, 08:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

Had the great pleasure of calling up and watching my 21 year old nephew harvest a gobbler a few days ago. He arrived back in MI last week from Lake Tahoe where he spent his college internship at a sky lodge. He will return to NMU in Marquette, MI this fall to complete his bachelors degree in sky lodge management. On his way home, he stopped at Sydney, NE Cabelas and bought his first shotgun, a Rem 870. I invited him to join myself and 3 friends for a turkey hunt in nw MI at our camp. Camp is a 1 room cabin, hand pump, gas lights and outside shitter. We were able to roost a bird the first evening and worked him for about an hour the next morning, gobbling and struttin' out in front of us. Just would not come that last 20 yards. It was 27 degrees that morning and it was hard to tell if Chad's shaking was cold or excitement, probably both. Later in the morning we spotted a small bunch of turkeys on the edge of green field. There was a strutting tom in the group so we slipped up into some pines and sat up. I hit my walnut/maple halfmoon box 1 time and within 3 minutes the strutter was in the pines and standing within gun range of Chad. In a few seconds the 870 roared and the bird was down. It was a great moment to say the least! I had to put the tag on the bird as his hands had not quite settled down yet. I can't think of a better felling than sitting back and watching a young person shoot a tom. Hopefully it will repeat later for my daughter who will turkey hunt for the first time this year. Chad spent the rest of the trip catching brook trout and gathering black morels, which we found a couple hundred. Great trip!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

JVA54

davisd9

Congratulations on the bird.  That shotgun will last him his lifetime and can be used for everything!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

redarrow

That's great . Congrats to the young man. Were you anywhere near Mancelona ,or the Jordan River ?

Wrangler95

:anim_65: :anim_65:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Hognutz

Congrats to chad on the new gun, and the nice gobbler. Kudo's to you for calling in his bid. It doesn't get any better than that..Well done, boys..Mike  :fud: :newmascot: :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

Congrats on a great bird!  :z-guntootsmiley:

drenalinld

You are a great uncle! He found a life long friend in an 870 and a life long passion in turkey hunting. I just hope he appreciates what you did for him. From the looks of that smile I think he does. WELL DONE!

TRKYHTR

Congrats to bot of you. I agree there is nothing better than a first timer.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: redarrow on May 10, 2011, 08:51:21 AM
That's great . Congrats to the young man. Were you anywhere near Mancelona ,or the Jordan River ?

We were just SE of Lake City in Missaukee County.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

trkycaller

turkey slayer

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

bowhunter84

thats awesome mike!     congrats