OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tactics  (Read 1146 times)

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
Tactics
« on: February 26, 2020, 06:46:28 AM »
I live in NH and noticed we have a few northern boys on our team. I was wondering what tactics we use in different areas. We usually sneak into our spot in the dark and set up 75-100ish yards from the roosted birds. After flydown plus 1-1.5 hours we usually run and gun trying to strike birds. Curious to see how others do it. I see many youtube videos of people going in at sunup and assumed that is for the filming conditions. Just itching to start my season and have to get my fix, lol. Be safe and find those old gobblers. Al

Offline BBR12

Re: Tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 01:38:23 PM »
I am typically like you Zelmo. If I roosted a bird the day before I try to set up pretty close or I am there in the dark listening for first gobble to move in and get close. I will stay with them as long as I can. Once the early hunt plays out I like to cover a lot of ground trying to find one that is ready to play. Very seldom I will set up an do blind calling in an area where I have seen or heard birds in the past. This is usually only for bad weather days or mid day. 

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Tactics
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 04:10:19 PM »
 Scouting / roosting / knowing where gobblers are is certainly a great way to start the morning. But I usually save a tag or two to try out new areas. Find a good listening spot and see where the day takes you. Hunting at its purest and most rewarding way.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.