turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Feed hogs won’t eat

Started by northms, February 25, 2020, 10:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

We have a bit of private land and I would like to put out some feed of some kind this week as our season is three weeks away but lately we have been over run with hogs. Much worse than any year before now. Is there anything I can put out that the turkeys would eat but the hogs wouldn't just devour? Anything corn related I know they will destroy. I hate hogs.

rdjustham

Greg Massey

Wild hogs are terrible , good luck with finding something they can't eat .. you could try wheat ...

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

northms

Didn't say I was planning to hunt over it. I won't be hunting the property until over a month past the time I would put something out. But I appreciate your sage wisdom on the topic.

rdjustham

On the property my family just sold down here in south florida i was covered up with hogs.  The will eat cracked corn but wont get all of it, which leaves some for other critters.  Found out by accident trying to keep cows off it.  Deer and turkey will also eat it but obviously wont get much.

I was lucky my hogs stayed nocturnal, maybe try altering or adding feed times?

GobbleNut

Looks to me like you have two choices.  The first is to get rid of the hogs, which sounds to me like an unrealistic approach.  That would be the ideal, long-term solution,...and based on past discussions here, may be the only way you will not see a decline in your turkey population in the area over time.

The other choice you have,...one that is more feasible for you probably,...is to create an exclosure (i.e....put a hog-proof fence around your feed station) to allow the turkeys to get in (they will learn to fly over the fence) but will keep the hogs out. 

The best solution is to do both.  That is, start trapping the hogs and until you have them under control or eradicated, and in the meantime put up the exclosure around your feed station.  Regardless, you are going to have to invest some time and money to solve your problem.

Southerngobbler

I'm not sure about hogs but when trying to feed deer and get the bears to leave it alone we spread it out over a larger area and the bears don't like having to work so hard for it. I would imagine hogs might be the same way. Get the smallest thing you can find-bird seed maybe and spread it out real thin in over a large area. The hogs wont be able to clean it all up even if they try.
Also it doesn't take long b4 hogs go nocturnal, usually one of two hunts so hunt them a time or two and they will at least leave the feed alone during the day.

northms

Thanks, guys. We are absolutely slap run over with hogs lately. Not surprisingly our turkey population has nosedived over the last 5-7 but I think some of that is on par with what others have seen in the state regardless. But the hogs aren't helping I'm sure.

I have a guy that hunts them with dogs that comes out occasionally and we shoot them during deer season no questions asked when/if we see one. But we do need to start trapping for sure. I was thinking maybe some large bags of wheat as suggested down some of the roads spread out a lot or even the birdseed idea.

I don't plan on feeding the turkeys year-round and certainly not during the season so this would just be a one-off type deal, for now, to feed them a month in advance of the season. Did I mention I HATE hogs?

Bowguy

Omg now we're discussing bait. Idk boys just ain't right if you ask me

StruttinGobbler3

I despise hogs. They've infested South Georgia. Running dogs can help to a degree, but they only catch a few and scatter the rest. Won't be long before they're right back on you. Most hogs get educated to trapping quickly. It's expensive but the most effective way to kill hogs in numbers is to go the nightvision and thermal route. Mount the night scopes on automatic rifles and find the groups in open fields at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

northms

Quote from: Bowguy on February 26, 2020, 09:45:09 AM

Again, I'm not hunting over it. There are guys with private land that feed from 300 poound feeders year round for deer and turkey. I'm talking about a bag of bird seed a month before the season on 300 acres of private land and now I'm an outlaw. I know for a fact my neighbors do the above mentioned but my ethics won't let me do that

Bowguy

To me bait is bait. Having it 30 yards or 300 yards away it's still not right.

Bowguy

Quote from: northms on February 26, 2020, 11:04:19 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on February 26, 2020, 09:45:09 AM

Again, I'm not hunting over it. There are guys with private land that feed from 300 poound feeders year round for deer and turkey. I'm talking about a bag of bird seed a month before the season on 300 acres of private land and now I'm an outlaw. I know for a fact my neighbors do the above mentioned but my ethics won't let me do that

You see because others are doing it and youre doing it less, to me is still wrong. We're trying to justify bad behavior cause everyone else is doing it. That's today's problem.
When I was a kid I was taught were only responsible for our actions and that's a fact.
The example given to me was if I was driving and speeding and it caused me to be pulled over, I couldn't say but that car was going faster. I was still wrong. Baiting anything is still wrong no matter the circumstances except for non sporting endeavors. We're sport hunting. Keep it sporting

bbcoach

We raised domestic hogs and they would eat anything except onions.  Time to go hog hunting!!!!