OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Breaking out mouth calls each year

Started by RiverRoost, February 24, 2020, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

how do y'all go about "conditioning" your mouth calls when you break them out for the first time each year from last season. I always wash my under the sink before I put them back in my pouch when the season ends and just leave them in my vest. Should I be leaving them in the fridge during the off season too?

RiverRoost

Curious how many season you either can or should get out of a mouth call

guesswho

I wash mine and make sure the reeds are separated.   Then I put them in a little water tight holder about the size of a skoal can with water and keep in the fridge.  I can usually get 2 to 3 years out of a call.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Have always just put them in the fridge.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

roberthyman14

As cheap as they are, I buy a few every year before season, take them to work and practice for a few weeks before season. By then they are pretty sounding.  During season I rotate them throughout the day,end of day the dry out in my hat then go to plastic case.  End of season I rinse them in mouth wash then to the fridge. 2 years and I swap them out. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Even before I started building calls I replaced mine each year.

I might add that a diaphragm call is a disposable product.  Everything it's made from with the exception of the frame is by design disposable.  Surgical tape, latex: both glove and condom rubber.  Now I don't blame a guy for taking care of his calls and if you choose to keep one for years that's great but just remember that no matter how good I or anyone else builds a mouth call it's still designed to be thrown away.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bbcoach

Wash them well with some non alcohol mouthwash, separate the reeds and store in a cool dry place (refrigerator).  Never store them in your vest or you'll come back to them and the reeds will be stuck together.  You should be able to get a couple of years out of them, then replace.  I normally order a few each year. 

paboxcall

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 24, 2020, 07:50:34 PM
Even before I started building calls I replaced mine each year.

Exactly.  :agreed:

Strep throat one year cut a week long spring hunt short halfway through, lost couple valuable vacation days recovering at home. Could have bought a few new calls with those insurance co-pays.

Never more than one season, and often swap them out sooner - and that's with a mouthwash rinse and separating the reeds every day after the hunt. They aren't box or pot calls, they get germy especially if you don't clean/rinse routinely.

:z-dizzy:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

RED NECK

I don't keep them as I buy a few new mouth calls every spring and I have used the same ones(company) for a decade now.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Marc

Quote from: RiverRoost on February 24, 2020, 06:17:38 PM
Curious how many season you either can or should get out of a mouth call

2 years or so...

My favorites get replaced every year, and I might even take the old one as a spare (in a separate call holder).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

RiverRoost

I've been very unsanitary with mine them bc I just wash them with water then throw them back in my pouch and in my vest. Guess I'll mouthwash mine tonight.

Rzrbac

Spitten and drummen

One season and in the trash. I get new ones a couple of weeks before season and play with them constantly. They are broke in by season opener.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

I just clean them after season and place them in small jar with lid and check them out now before season and replace if needed...

turkey_picker

Wash mine with Listerine mouthwash and put them in the freezer with the reeds separated. I can get several years out of them or more.