OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wounded!!!!

Started by Trevor2, May 09, 2011, 09:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

I posted on here not long ago about trying to get my dad his first bird! Well this evening it just about happened! Had a bearded hen come in to about 50 yards. I wouldnt dare shoot a bearded hen this late in the season for fear that she might already been bread, but I wasnt gonna stop dad from it and he fired one off at her. He didnt get a good hit as she flew off and then I heard her crash. I tore out after her and stupid me left my gun vest and all, my only thought was get to dads bird before it got back up. Well he must have hit her in the wing bc she was up and took off runnin when I got there. She wasnt dragging it but wouldnt fly. So he almost got his first bird, but maybe she will live. What do yall think?
Strutstopper

hobbes

If she can't fly............she's coyote bait.

Trevor2

Well she flew out of the field but when I got to her, she wouldnt fly. Did she fly out on pure adrenaline?
Strutstopper

spaightlabs

I think she probably isn't gonna make it too long being on the ground 24 hours a day.

Why would you be ok with your Dad taking a shot he obviously couldn't/didn't make ethically?  The young are always educating their elders - you had a great opportunity to share your experience along with discussing the ramifications of killing a hen at this stage of the game.

I think he should consider himself tagged out and hang it up til next year, but that's just me.

hobbes

I wouldn't worry about her not flying when you approached.  Turkeys will often run instead of fly.  Its the "crash" that I would consider bad, which likely means she couldn't fly anymore.

Trevor2

Quote from: spaightlabs on May 09, 2011, 09:37:42 PM
I think she probably isn't gonna make it too long being on the ground 24 hours a day.

Why would you be ok with your Dad taking a shot he obviously couldn't/didn't make ethically?  The young are always educating their elders - you had a great opportunity to share your experience along with discussing the ramifications of killing a hen at this stage of the game.

I think he should consider himself tagged out and hang it up til next year, but that's just me.

It wasnt a question of ethical shot, bc we know his gun with him shooting it is more than capable of that shot, and as far as it being a hen, thats more personal prefrence in my book. Some dont mind it and some wont ever do it.
Strutstopper

spaightlabs

Quote from: Trevor2 on May 09, 2011, 09:44:50 PM

It wasnt a question of ethical shot, bc we know his gun with him shooting it is more than capable of that shot, and as far as it being a hen, thats more personal prefrence in my book. Some dont mind it and some wont ever do it.

Well, I'd say the empirical data would indicate that he isn't capable of making that shot with that gun- especially as a noob.  I'd encourage you to educate him, nicely, about what a reasonable shot is.

Ky strutt n bust n

Quote from: spaightlabs on May 09, 2011, 09:51:16 PM
Quote from: Trevor2 on May 09, 2011, 09:44:50 PM

Well, I'd say the empirical data would indicate that he isn't capable of making that shot with that gun- especially as a noob.  I'd encourage you to educate him, nicely, about what a reasonable shot is.
if they know he can take a shot and its in the kill zone, no questions asked. take the shot. must be confident to make shots. and his father was confident on the shot. same as someone shooting a bird at 25 yards and wounding it. they obviously felt comfortable about the shot and took it. from the sounds, no it wasn't a great shot, but its just another story him and his dad can tell for many years to come. crap happes like this everyday and atleast he got on here asking questions about it. theres poachers everyday who kill birds on other people porperty and just leave them there out for coyote bait. least these two guys were legal hunters and honest about it

Trevor2

Thank you Ky strutt n bust n. He definatley felt comfortable in his shot, or he wouldnt have squeezed one off. I still here those words of wisdom in my sleep when he first got me into hunting, to be sure and confident in my shot or dont take it.
Strutstopper

lmbhngr

J.Davidson

i agree with kentucky of course im trevs cousin so im on his side anyway.

Trevor2

Haha I was wondering when you were gonna chime in. Burrville field is where we were josh.
Strutstopper

Ky strutt n bust n

well see theres a time to shoot and not. and hell you got the shot and its given, take it. all n all sounds like a good hunt anyway. maybe your dad can connect on him a big ol longbeard

J.Davidson

figures that ol tom out there will come out next to the road and strut but he wont come out into the safer part of the field for nothin and i think ive seen her hard to tell without binos

Trevor2

Yep same one we been seeing. She sporting about a three or four in beard
Strutstopper