turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Episode 3 of Cain’t Run the Haint..Can’t Get Worse

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 18, 2020, 06:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Alright, here we go again. This recording was done at about 75 yards from the phone doing the recording. Disregard dog and my baby girl making sounds in the background lol. What do y'all think of this? On this episode, we find out if guesswho will come down off the hill and hunt with me yet. Stay tuned.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f74vktwmq2nzhgl/Audio%202020-02-18%2018.51.02.m4a?dl=0
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

guesswho

Nope, still on the hill.  Third time obviously isn't always the charm.  I can hear improvement, especially at the beginning of a couple of the gobbles.  When I learned on a diaphragm I started with the first couple of notes.   Once I had a good feel for that I added a little more, and then finally was able to run it all together for a decent gobble.  I tried that with a Haint with zero luck.  I never made any progress with it.  But you are definitely headed in the right direction.   

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: guesswho on February 18, 2020, 07:10:45 PM
Nope, still on the hill.  Third time obviously isn't always the charm.  I can hear improvement, especially at the beginning of a couple of the gobbles.  When I learned on a diaphragm I started with the first couple of notes.   Once I had a good feel for that I added a little more, and then finally was able to run it all together for a decent gobble.  I tried that with a Haint with zero luck.  I never made any progress with it.  But you are definitely headed in the right direction.   

This is proving to be a very difficult nut to crack for sure. This is much harder than when I learned to play a trumpet a few years ago. Started running mouth calls around twenty years ago and a gobble is the only sound I can't make using one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

guesswho

I'm impressed you know how to post sound files.  I'm clueless.   That Haint is one call that I finally just waived the white flag, which is unusual for me. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

StruttinGobbler3

It took several failed attempts, a strong craving for liquor, and would make a preacher cuss. But I finally figured out how to post them using Dropbox. At this point I'm not sure I will be able to improve much more with the haint, I've tweaked my technique in every way I know how. I'm tempted to try one of those flextone thunder gobble calls. But I'm so hardheaded I keep hammering on the haint.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Nathan_Wiles

Flextone call is in the drawer with "Dead Silence", "The Hatchet" and "Triple Threat"

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 18, 2020, 07:35:30 PM
It took several failed attempts, a strong craving for liquor, and would make a preacher cuss. But I finally figured out how to post them using Dropbox. At this point I'm not sure I will be able to improve much more with the haint, I've tweaked my technique in every way I know how. I'm tempted to try one of those flextone thunder gobble calls. But I'm so hardheaded I keep hammering on the haint.
For the love of all that is holy stay away from the Flextone. It's much easier to get the sequence, but has the tone of a train whistle.

Keep on with the Haint and if you also wave the white flag, box gobbling is pretty easy to fall back on.

Hobbes

Besides quieter and maybe a little slower, I'm not picking up much difference from sound file one to three.  You've got more patience than me.  That's probably why I don't purr on a mouth call and never use a tube call.

backforty

My haint is somewhere halfway down a ridge. I got pretty good with it at the house but as soon as that gobbler got my nerves up it sounded closer to a dying rooster. Got frustrated and threw it as far as I could in the direction of the gobbler I had just freaked out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Print by Madison, on Flickr

MK M GOBL

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 18, 2020, 07:14:13 PM

Started running mouth calls around twenty years ago and a gobble is the only sound I can't make using one

Have you put the time into the mouth call? I use one for my "gobble" and works! I had a guy show me how he started and I just ended up learning my own way.

I'll see if I can do this drop box thing and post it here.

MK M GOBL

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 18, 2020, 09:01:18 PM
Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 18, 2020, 07:14:13 PM

Started running mouth calls around twenty years ago and a gobble is the only sound I can't make using one

Have you put the time into the mouth call? I use one for my "gobble" and works! I had a guy show me how he started and I just ended up learning my own way.

I'll see if I can do this drop box thing and post it here.

MK M GOBL
What technique are you using to make a gobble with a mouth call? Any specific word you're saying into the call or anything like that?

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

MK M GOBL

So here is the best way I can explain.

I do use the tikka tikka tukka tukka tukka sounds, as I do this I fill my cheeks with air and then from my diaphragm almost like coughing/laughing let the air out.

PM sent

MK M GOBL

hotspur

Marc

You have the note down, you just need to figure out the back-pressure.

You need to use back pressure...  Do NOT fill your cheeks with air. Use your diaphragm only.  (Maybe others have had different experiences with this aspect though).

Start with your hands open and to the "Ticka-ticka" sound (from your diaphragm), and then cup your hands over the call for back-pressure.  As you open and close your hands over the call (creating less and more back-pressure) you should get an idea of how much back pressure you need to start and finish the note.

You will need to start the call with some degree of back-pressure, and finish with increasing back-pressure.

It would appear that this is an easy call for most duck hunters (who can call at all proficiently with a mallard call) to learn.  The feeding chuckle is almost second nature, and most duck calls (to sound realistic) require degrees of changing back-pressure.

My duck hunting friends (who turkey hunt) were able to basically pick the call up off the shelf and make it work in seconds...  Non-duck hunting (or duck calling) turkey hunters seem to find this call to be an enigma...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.