OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ceramic questions

Started by troutfisher13111, February 18, 2020, 06:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

I picked up a couple ceramic calls this year for the upcoming season. So far I really dig the sound and ease of play. To my ears It's like a half way point between slate and glass. I have a few questions. What wood do you guys prefer for your strikers? So far B&W Ebony and Dymondwood are my favorites. Also, what do you use to condition it with? And how often? I have ran mine quite a bit without having to condition. Almost seems too good to be true.

Thanks

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

va longbeard

Strikers bloodwood and diamondwood are my favorites, but everyone is looking for a different sound no rights or wrong regardless of everyone's favorite.

As far as conditioning I have some I have never conditioned and have cleaned with alcohol only and others I had to condition with either a stone or green scotchbright to get the sound I wanted. 

Some of them I got rough on em others I barely conditioned.

Seems like when you get the sound out of em you want you really don't need to condition them.

vt35mag

Dymondwood, bloodwood, and Ipe.

I use a stone once in a while, but typically just touch it up with a few light passes of dry wall screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

tracker#1

I'm liken bloodwood and frogwood, on Stumpys

Gog1015

Snakewood sounds good on ceramic as well

chefrific

I've tried just about every type of striker you can think of on my ceramics.  End of the day I've found they love Ipe and Bloodwood the best.
My favorite ceramic by Stumpy LOVES Halloran's one piece Ipe striker.

Spitten and drummen

Bloodwood , Ipe and yellowheart.  Raspy , mature with a little rasp and higher with medium rasp. 3 uniquely different hens.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

Quote from: chefrific on February 18, 2020, 09:05:32 PM
My favorite ceramic by Stumpy LOVES Halloran's one piece Ipe striker.
Have to agree, great combination.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

My 2 choices are snakewood and diamondwood ..

drk9988

To my ear it's a mix of crystal and slate as far as sound goes.. My favorite strikers for anything and all including ceramic is a one piece Rutland dymondwood or a one piece Snakewood.

zsully

Another vote for bloodwood. It just makes any ceramic I've run with it sound that much better.

Harty

wchadw

Bloodwood dymondwood webwood and Snakewood sound pretty good on them to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fountain2

Ceramic is supposedly somewhat resistant to moisture creep..if that's the case I'm going to run a fiberglass striker to ensure no slip in the event of moisture.   I also have an old diamond wood striker that I coated the tip with jb weld and will use it.

sbbow

Bloodwood, Ipe, dymondwood am snakewood for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk