OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Off Topic ...older duck/goose call info wanted

Started by captpete, February 18, 2020, 03:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

I had shoulder surgery about 5 days ago and I'm bored. I was going through some of my old hunting stuff and found my duck/goose calls. I quit waterfowl hunting about 15 yrs ago and it's time for these to go down the road. I have 7-8 call from the mid '80 to the late '90. I know none of them are collectors and not worth a lot of money, but at the same time don't want to just give them away.

Where would a person look to find what they might be worth? I looked on EBay and found a couple of them, but can't find the others.  I also looked on Call Collector.com. All I found there was info about the makers. Any help would be appreciated.

hotspur

Sir-diealot

If you do Facebook check out a group called Call Nutz most there seem to do duck and goose calls and may be able to help you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1392063687769216/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

captpete

Thanks for the replies.

I checked out duck hunters refuge, but didn't really see anything to give me a value for the calls I have. More reference to the makers themselves. Having said that, after doing some reading, I believe one call might have some value to it. I thought of listing them there, but don't know what price to list them at....again don't want to sell a $100 call for $20. Plus it's hard to sell something with VERY low post counts.

I'm not a Facebook person, but thanks again for the link.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: captpete on February 19, 2020, 10:04:09 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I checked out duck hunters refuge, but didn't really see anything to give me a value for the calls I have. More reference to the makers themselves. Having said that, after doing some reading, I believe one call might have some value to it. I thought of listing them there, but don't know what price to list them at....again don't want to sell a $100 call for $20. Plus it's hard to sell something with VERY low post counts.

You're welcome and best of luck to you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

cuttinAR

Quote from: captpete on February 19, 2020, 10:04:09 AM
Thanks for the replies.

What calls do you have?  I've got a book of the history of duck calls that dates back to the early 1900s.  If you have something of value it will be in there.

Marc

Not many of the calls from the 1980's-90's will be worth much.  There are a few though.

Two that popular calls that come to mind were Iverson calls (which were popular all over) and Lare's calls (which were more popular regionally).  And you will not retire off of either of these.

List up the names/manufactures of the calls here, and someone might be able to help...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

captpete

Like I said in my original post, I doubt these are worth much, but still don't want to just give them away. Really just looking for a starting number to list them on Ebay.

First is a Woods Calls Cocobolo Gander Land'r flute call made by Ron Wieneke that I got in 1999/2000. He passed away in 2012. I'm not sure if he was still making calls when he passed away.

The other one is a BGB (Big Guys Best) Cocobolo barrel/polycarbonate(?) insert double reed that I got at the same time as the flute call. It was made by Mike "Big Guy" Keller. He started his business in 1997 and passed away in 2005. I believe this call was made before he hooked up with Jeff Foiles & started making goose calls.

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

redjones

Not trying to be rude in anyway,but neither one is what you would call collectable,and neither one is a sought after call to use in the field.
There might be some guys out on the east coast that still blow flute's but they have seen there day come and go,unless you have an older Sean Mann,they bring decent money.
The BGB had a good run several yrs ago probably around the time you bought yours,and it having a poly insert tells me it was a cheaper made call,don't hear many guys say they still hunt them.
Good luck with your sale.

Greg
Semper Fi

captpete

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 20, 2020, 03:43:49 PM
May be something you would want to invest in, pretty cheap and covers Goose-Duck-Turkey calls. https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Art-of-American-Game-Call-Identification-Values-Book-Goose-Duck-Turkey/303479504515?hash=item46a8c9be83:g:RUwAAOSw7ThUjMGr

Thanks for the link. It looks like it could be an interesting book, but I'm not real interested in collecting. I only have the 2 calls above left to list. The rest of my duck calls I have already listed and received bids on.

captpete

Quote from: redjones on February 20, 2020, 07:39:48 PM
Not trying to be rude in anyway,but neither one is what you would call collectable,and neither one is a sought after call to use in the field.
There might be some guys out on the east coast that still blow flute's but they have seen there day come and go,unless you have an older Sean Mann,they bring decent money.
The BGB had a good run several yrs ago probably around the time you bought yours,and it having a poly insert tells me it was a cheaper made call,don't hear many guys say they still hunt them.
Good luck with your sale.

Greg

Thanks for the info and in no way did I take it as being rude. I pretty much figured they wouldn't be worth much and not really desirable...that's just the way my luck goes. These were not high dollar calls when I bought them, but they weren't your big box store cookie-cutter calls either. If I remember right, I paid $50-$60 a piece for them. I even still have the VHS tape that came with the goose flute....don't think I ever watched it.

Thanks again.