turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rank My Gobbling

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 16, 2020, 05:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqcj5g4bijfb09i/Audio%202020-02-16%2017.17.53.m4a?dl=0

I've been practicing with my old haint gobble call again just playing around. What do y'all think? Good enough to fool a gobbler, or is it gonna send him running for the hills?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

guesswho

I'd put one of my buddies over on that hill you mentioned ;D.   Sounds like you have the basics down but just need to find the volume and tone.  Right now it sounds like someone really fast on an old electric typewriter.  Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that never did figure the haint out.  I do much better gobbling on a diaphragm call.   God luck and stay with it!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: guesswho on February 16, 2020, 05:42:17 PM
I'd put one of my buddies over on that hill you mentioned ;D.   Sounds like you have the basics down but just need to find the volume and tone.  Right now it sounds like someone really fast on an old electric typewriter.  Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that never did figure the haint out.  I do much better gobbling on a diaphragm call.   God luck and stay with it!
Haha I was thinking the same thing about putting a guy in the direction of the birds likely retreat. I have a love/hate relationship with this call. I've never been able to gobble well on a mouth call. I think I sound better gobbling on a box. Just passing time playing with calls until season comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

eggshell

my wife just asked what the hell was that

Hobbes

I would practice more before using that call.  I can't help you out on how to get there, I can't gobble myself, but I can tell you that I wouldn't purposely make that sound while hunting.

Greg Massey

I will give you major credit for trying ... but keep trying .... :OGturkeyhead:

deadbuck

The Haint is the absolute hardest call to gobble on. Have you tried the Knight and Hale Hale Fire call? It isn't easy but is doable. Took me about 2 years to get good enough to fool a bird on it and I kept it in my truck blowing it some every day while commuting to work. All of a sudden one day it just clicks and you can do it after tons of practice.

turkey_picker

Practice, not quite there yet. A lot better than I ever got, I finally gave up.

GobbleNut

Actually, I think if you could make the entire gobble sound like the last two or three notes of each one, you would be good.  Whatever you are doing at the end, do it at the start and middle....

3bailey3

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 16, 2020, 09:47:25 PM
Actually, I think if you could make the entire gobble sound like the last two or three notes of each one, you would be good.  Whatever you are doing at the end, do it at the start and middle....
I'm kind of rolling my tongue making a machine gun sound, and as I blow the breath out the rolling slows down. If I could figure out how to slow down that rolling throughout the whole gobble it would sound a lot better. Also, at the end I have my hands cupped over the call and flapping one hand to get that sound.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

GobbleNut

I've never used the Haint or HaleFire so I don't know if the mechanics are different, but with a tube call, you want to go "tuckatuckatuckatucka   (smiley face here)

StruttinGobbler3

I tried that approach with the haint, and I sounded like a mallard duck with a speech impediment trying to make a feed call.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

GobbleNut

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 16, 2020, 10:05:44 PM
I tried that approach with the haint, and I sounded like a mallard duck with a speech impediment trying to make a feed call.

Several laughing smiley faces here....

TauntoHawk

I tried on the hale fire when they first came out and I ended up figuring out mouth call gobbling first

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>