OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: batwing  (Read 3883 times)

Offline r4calls2018

batwing
« on: February 14, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »
Looking for some tips if anyone feels like helping a newbie ive been having problems making a batwing cut that sounds good they all seem to be to raspy am i putting to much back tension in them ? normally i just pull the wrinkles out of the reeds ive tried lowering the side tension and increasing it with no luck

Offline strut-n-rut

Re: batwing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 10:12:26 PM »
What side tension

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Offline r4calls2018

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 11:08:54 PM »
anywhere from 1.30 to 2.50

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 11:09:58 PM »
Here are some thoughts based on my experience: (assuming you are making two-reed batwings)
> Your reed selection/thickness may need changing,...sounds like you might be using too-heavy latex thicknesses (all other factors being equal, thinner latex will raise the pitch and eliminate some of the rasp)   
> You may not be putting enough side-tension in your reeds (higher tension usually translates to higher pitch/less rasp)
>  Reed exposure may need adjusting,...more or less tip exposure and/or more/less secondary reed exposure

My batwings often start out being hard to get the roll-over off of the high front-end pitch.  If you get where you have that problem, you can generally fix that by putting some very small "nicks" in the secondary reed or shaving the front edge of the secondary reed  Always keep in mind that very slight changes in the reed cuts can make a huge difference in the sound of the call.

Offline r4calls2018

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 11:51:37 AM »
ive been making three reed batwings using .3 top reed and .25 bottom reeds thanks for the info !

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 11:04:32 PM »
ive been making three reed batwings using .3 top reed and .25 bottom reeds thanks for the info !

Hmmm,...based on that info, I doubt the problem is your reed thickness.  .003 and .0025 (proph) should work.  Might try increasing side-tension a bit on that reed combo if you're getting too much rasp.   I would also experiment with reed thicknesses up to .004 with increased side-tension, perhaps. After that, go to the reed cut modifications mentioned and see if that gets you to where you want to be.  Even if my initial design is slightly off tonally, I can usually fix it with some nicking or reed shaving.
Just some thoughts.... 

Offline HILBY72

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 04:40:36 PM »
Maybe shorten the distance you stack your reeds or don't make your cuts too deep....just my 2 cents

Offline r4calls2018

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 10:10:44 AM »
Thanks a bunch everyone!!

Offline maxbo36

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »
If you are a Batwing guy, tuning can be rather simple once you find your reed combo.  I find that almost every Batwing I make for myself is a bit too raspy.  I fix this by trimming a little at a time off the tip of the cut reed.  Trimming the point back can needs to be done in VERY small increments as cutting too much from the tip will kill the call completely.  If you can find the FINE line where just the VERY tip is overhanging your second reed, you will most likely get the higher end in the beginning of your yelps that you are looking for.  I hope this may help.

Offline kythunter

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 07:59:52 PM »
Do any of you guys making 2 reed batwings sell them?

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 08:53:27 AM »

I suspect there are a number of commercial call makers that have a two-reed batwing in their line-up of calls.  I do know that Sam at Gooserbat Calls will make you whatever call design you want.  You might want to check out his website.

I'm not much of a batwing guy myself and don't usually make them, but here's a simple hint.  You can make a lot of calls with existing cuts into batwings just by modifying the reed cuts yourself.  If you have calls that start out as a basic center V-cut design, you can generally modify that call design into the batwing.  this would include combo cuts and about any sort of modified V-cut design you might currently have.   :icon_thumright:

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 07:34:35 PM »

I suspect there are a number of commercial call makers that have a two-reed batwing in their line-up of calls.  I do know that Sam at Gooserbat Calls will make you whatever call design you want.  You might want to check out his website.

I'm not much of a batwing guy myself and don't usually make them, but here's a simple hint.  You can make a lot of calls with existing cuts into batwings just by modifying the reed cuts yourself.  If you have calls that start out as a basic center V-cut design, you can generally modify that call design into the batwing.  this would include combo cuts and about any sort of modified V-cut design you might currently have.   :icon_thumright:

This is what I would do^^^^

however I do know that Dead End game calls makes a 2 Reed batwing

Offline kythunter

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 04:06:08 PM »

This is what I would do^^^^

however I do know that Dead End game calls makes a 2 Reed batwing
Yeah I've modified v cuts before and have ordered 2 reeds from different call companies but I'm always looking for a good 2 reed batwing. Something more custom than store bought.