OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I Finally did it! (Updated w/Video 5-18-11)

Started by simpzenith, May 09, 2011, 11:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpzenith

In 2009 and 2010, I applied for a firearm tag in the prairie of SD w/o drawing. I would then pick up an over-the-counter archery tag and go hunting there anyway. Both years I had birds around and a few coming to the calls but either they remained in the brush or out of range. Those first two years really helped me learn the lay of the land and where the birds liked to go. This year I finally drew a firearm tag and was excited about my chances. The first morning, I walked over a mile to my spot and waited for light. Not knowing if any birds would be roosting nearby or on the private land, as they usually did, I decided to give a hoot. I'm not sure if SD even has Barred Owls but I knew any sound would set off those Merriam birds. Oh man, I couldn't believe it! There must have been 20+ birds gobbling around me in all directions but sounded like 100.  ;D Success did not come easy though because there were probably 4 times as many hens with them. After almost 2 hours of calling and changing calling setups about 10 times, I finally convinced 2 birds to head my way. There was a small creek nearby and not known to me at the time, the 2 toms were using it as a travel route. I could hear them drumming and dragging wings for the longest time and just couldn't pinpoint there location. The bank of the creek must have been bouncing the sound around because I thought the sounds were coming from the cedars, across the creek, about 60 yards away. Finally I catch movement 10 yards directly in front of me as the 2 toms decided to finally come up the creek bank. They immediately spotted me sitting in some tall grass, the only available cover at the moment, and broke strut. After a little stare down, they both went into strut again and turned away, allowing me a chance to get my gun on the lead bird. I found a small hole among the small branches between us and as soon as they lifted their heads to take another look at me...boom! My first Merriam and first subspecies other than the Eastern variety. 18lbs 3oz, 7.75" beard and spurs of 1" and 15/16".

That evening I decided to return to the same location. As the evening progressed and not hearing a single gobble, I thought that I'd have to return to my motel room empty handed and wasn't looking forward to that over 1 mile walk, which is all uphill. I still called periodically but it was more of going through the motions and never expected one would hammer back from across the creek. After what seemed like forever and getting close to sunset, I spotted movement to my left. He come into the clearing to check things out but look like he was trying to keep his distance. Unfortunately for him, it wasn't far enough. I let the Winchester #6 fly and I had my second Merriam of the day and a better one at that. 20lbs 5oz., 9.9375" beard and both spurs were 1.125"  :z-guntootsmiley:
I didn't take pics with him so I grabbed this video still from my camcorder.

Here is the video link to the morning hunt: http://youtu.be/eugzi-h-kBk

Bigg E

Sounds like you had a great day! Congrats  :you_rock:
PLEASE TAKE A CHILD HUNTING OR FISHING

Basser69

Congrats on two great birds!!! Thanks for sharing!!!   :z-guntootsmiley:

Divenut2

Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

bowhunter84

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Hawkfarm

That's one great day.  Congrats.

Flydown

Awesome! Congrats Shane! :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

njdevilsb

Congrats on the birds.  That's a good day right there.

LX_Trkyhntr

Way to go buddy!!!!  Congrats!! :you_rock: :z-guntootsmiley: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Hognutz

Congrats on two nice gobblers..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

harvester

barry

You didn't waste any time collecting those 2 birds.
Congrats!!!

longbeardlife.com

awesome pics and story...  congrats

TRKYHTR

That was a great hunt Shane. Congrats on 2 nice Merriams.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck