OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got a decent Indiana Bird! PRAISE THE LORD!

Started by keyser12ga, May 09, 2011, 11:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyser12ga

Pics later, quick details, approx 20lb, 10.5 beard, each spur over an inch.  

harvester

Way to go. Congrats. Can't wait to see the pics and hear the story.
:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

unclerick

Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

ElkTurkMan

keyser12ga

Thanks guys.  Here are some pics.

Score is posted.

This is that same turkey that I had problems with on the 2 other hunts.  I thought hope was lost at daybreak when I realized that for the second time this week I chose a tree with a silent roosted turkey in it.  I couldn't tell if it was a hen or gobbler when it took off to the next county shortly after I sat down.  To make matters worse, there was another bird in the tree next to me and I didn't know whether I could even call without spooking it too.  I did some soft clucking/purring on my Barker slate and shortly thereafter a gobbler went silently down the side of the ridge out of view to the field I don't have permission to hunt. He was gobbling non stop for about 20 min's out in the field.  It dawned on me that this had been a blessing, I had scared away one of the hens that would have been coming to meet him and the other one was too afraid to leave the tree.  I used Dan Kendall's "Secret Weapon" two reed (thanks for the awesome calls Dan) to call periodically just enough to let him know I was still there and not coming and thankfully he finally broke the woodline and I was able to shoot him at 40. 

I give the Lord the honor and glory for allowing me to spend another season in his creation and providing me with this bird.

unclerick

Before all else fails,talk to Jesus