turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Longbeard shells

Started by jbrown, February 10, 2020, 07:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

I'm shooting a 3" 12 gauge for Turkey's. I know I need to pattern my gun to find out the best load. As a rule which  Win Longbeard load do you like best, 1 7/8 oz or 1 3/4 oz load?? I'm gonna shoot number 6 shot

Sir-diealot

The only ones I have shot are the 1 7/8 oz in 6's and I was/am very happy with my results.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

rakkin6

I like the 1 7/8 in the 6 and 5. I use the #5 just because I get a little better pattern out of my setup. I do have some #6 and if I had trouble finding #5 would not hesitate to take them to the field.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Big Pine

I have had more consistent patterns with the 1 7/8 loads, but in reality there was very little difference. I actually prefer the 1 7/8 oz #4s

Struthunter

The heaver the better 3" Winchester's shoot great I use #5 shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Depends on the size of the shot, choke and gun ( PATTERN }... that's the one i would shoot ...

WNCTracker

1 7/8 #6's

Gobble!

Heavier loads put up higher numbers from what I've seen.

turkeymanjim

Quote from: Gobble! on February 10, 2020, 10:19:29 PM
Heavier loads put up higher numbers from what I've seen.
In 1 3/4 oz to 1 7/8 oz loads of #6 shot there is approximately 28 more pellets in the 1 7/8 oz load then 1 3/4 oz.
1 7/8 oz load has 422 pellets of 6 shot.
1 3/4 oz load has 394 pellets of 6 shot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

THattaway

Only opinion I would share is a #6 lead pellet is still a #6 lead pellet. If you can get good patterns with #5s then go with them. From my experience with 3" #5 LBs I got 140s at 40yds. That's plenty lethal for me.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Cowboy

Every gun is different, but I use the 1 7/8 #6 loads. Really like them for the $$ as well.  :fud:

strum

I dont know why but I had better results with the 1 3/4oz #6 than the 1 7/8oz #6 .  It all about what your gun shoots best. Youll just have to try some out and decide for your self.

Missouri hunter

I've shot 2 boxes of the 1 3/4 oz #5s, and killed one bird with them last year. I have a box of the 1 7/8 #5s I shot just one of them so far on paper at 40 and it was ok just a little patchy compared to the 1 3/4. My barrel my have been getting pretty dirty though from sighting in and testing other loads. I'm going to shoot a few more of each with a clean barrel to see which I want to keep using. The 1 3/4oz longe beards definitely put the most in a 10" of any other shell I've used. Still kinda miss my old 2oz #5 federal premium they stopped making though. It was an amazingly even pattern with a lot more forgiveness.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

northms

I shoot the LB XR #6 1 3/4 and they will roll a turkey. I save my money on for more gas money and mouth calls instead of TSS. Out to 40 it is a great load. All I need.

Dtrkyman

Keep in mind those things are crazy tight up close.

I have a friend who is prone to miss, told him stay away from them, he couldn't help himself and got em, and missed