turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New hunting tactics...

Started by KYHeadhunter02, February 09, 2020, 01:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

I started out being a huge pot call fan several years ago, and have slowly gotten into box calls and trumpets. This year I've decided to try a bunch of different types of calls while hunting. I highly doubt I'll have time to really master everything, but I'll do what I can. I just got my first tube call today. I have wanted one ever since I went to the Unicoi show. They are interesting to say the least. I guess my goal is to see what call the birds respond best too. I'm sure that varies and there will be many variables too. Anyone trying anything different this season? Oh, and I plan to buy a smaller and lighter vest also. I'm not dragging 15 pot calls, 15 strikers, 2 boxes, and the rest the crap I drag around all season.

Here's the types I have so far:
Pots- all surfaces except copper
Cost style box calls
Hen boxes
Trumpets
Wingbones
Nail call
Tube call- I can't run it very well yet though.
Push pins

I may pick up some mouth calls, a scratch box. I think that about covers them all?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I quit the vest a couple years ago and just carry everything in the bag Glenda makes..
I carry a couple pot calls,tube call,trumpet or 2, mini box,and a couple mouthcalls.
It's worked well for me over the years switching types of calls if not getting a response.
I also switch out calls throughout the season. Hence having way more than one man really needs,but just wants. ;D
Keep practicing and Goodluck... :icon_thumright:

Happy

I might try and take a youth sized 20 gauge and kill a turkey with it. Just to see what all the fuss is all about. I have been trying to listen to Justin Bieber, backstreet boys,Chere and other similar music trying to get in the right mindset for such an undertaking and so far it's not going well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bbcoach

I am a pot guy as well.  I will normally carry a slate, a glass and or crystal, a ceramic and this year a copper pot.  I have a box, several mouth calls and multiple strikers with me on any given day.  And most days 50 to 75% of those calls and strikers will get utilized.  I prefer to carry these calls for several reasons 1. I never know what the birds will respond to and most important will break and come to 2. I try to sound like multiple hens, this type of calling for me has brought in many birds.  Right now (from the first of January to the start of the season), I am Practicing my butt off with ALL my calls to reacquaint myself, get more proficient and comfortable and learn the tone of each call.  As the season nears, I whittle my choices down to the ones that I play the best, I have the most confidence in and gives me different tones.  My advice to you is Practice, Practice and Practice some more.  Get confidence in several different types of calls, use each one and let the birds decide what they are going to respond and come to.     

Cowboy

Listening to Justin Beiber would certainly make me want to kill something!  :fud:

StruttinGobbler3

My new tactic this season is preparing by listening to hardcore rap music while practicing my turkey calls. The logic here is if I can learn to be a real street G and survive on them screets in the trap bro, then killing a turkey will be easy. I plan on patterning my gun by holding it sideways with one hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

hotspur

Not really new tactic but gonna use a 20 GA for the first time also. And my second year carrying a lounger type chair that really helped me take 2 gobblers last year with the amount of time spent on stand

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 09, 2020, 06:03:43 AM
I might try and take a youth sized 20 gauge and kill a turkey with it. Just to see what all the fuss is all about. I have been trying to listen to Justin Bieber, backstreet boys,Chere and other similar music trying to get in the right mindset for such an undertaking and so far it's not going well.

Happy just listen to Johnny Cash , sing Ragged Old Flag , and that will put you in the mood .. as to that other music your listening to, i don't know what that stuff really is i don't think it's music.   :jackson:

Spurs

Quote from: Happy on February 09, 2020, 06:03:43 AM

Be careful with the trash talk before you try it...you will fall in love with that lil'youth and find yourself in a pickle.  Been shooting an 1187 compact for 4 seasons and my only switch may be going to a Benelli compact to shade another few ounces.  :emoticon-cartoon-012:
This year is going to suck!!!

Greg Massey

I carry variety of calls, hen box, fiddle box , cost style, trumpet, pot calls , mouth calls , snacks, water and toilet paper .. i use Glenda Green satchel , and i try my best to fill it up.. that's the reason i bought my calls is to enjoy .. why leave them at home.. i do switch my calls out during the season, you have to play the weather, wind, rain, humidity makes a difference in your morning call playing..

MK M GOBL

I have a number of calls, some I really don't use much. Kind of dropped carrying so many with me when I ditched the vest and went to my hip pack, I picked out the calls that work best for me and have stuck with them. I still get the urge to try them now and again just to do it but not what I rely on.

Still the Pot Call and Diaphragm guy for calling them in, I carry a slate, a glass and half dozen strikers. For diaphragms I carry a half dozens as well, gives me 18 different "voices/sounds".

One of my most memorable hunts was finishing him using my natural voice, I had been sitting for a bit calling with the CODY and getting no answers, I decided to move to another spot and he gobbled while I was crossing a big cornfield, he was already coming and I was stuck in the middle of that field, I dropped down on my stomach and pushed my chair in front of me, my jake and hen were in the bag and pushed those behind me, next I hear him again and he's getting closer. I roll over to see him strutting and walking towards me. I put my gun up on the chair and waited a little and he gobbled again. I didn't have my mouth call in and had just did some soft yelps with my voice and he gobbled back, he kept coming and got close enough for a shot! I'm guessing he heard me calling on the slate and when I decided to pick up and move the "hen" he heard went silent, he came looking for "her" and let out the gobble.

MK M GOBL

Happy

I really dont have anything against the 20 gauge. It's just that sometimes when I walk beside a nice quiete pond. Well I just gotta chuck a big rock into it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 09, 2020, 02:56:12 PM
I really dont have anything against the 20 gauge. It's just that sometimes when I walk beside a nice quiete pond. Well I just gotta chuck a big rock into it.

Hey look at the good side of it , the 20 gauge shells are cheaper ...

Happy

Negative ghostrider. I use longbeards in the 12. Compared to the 20 gauge heviweight and tss loads it is cheaper. Bought a pile of the longbeards on clearance for $1.60 a round.
Maybe one day I will kill a bird with tss but so far I haven't even attempted it.