turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Loudest Owl Hooter

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 08, 2020, 11:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just looking for other opinions. I've used a Harrison owl hooter for the past few years, and it's certainly the most realistic I've found. However, to be honest I really don't get many shock gobbles to it. So I got to thinking about trying something else with more volume. The Harrison just isn't that loud. Anybody use a call other than the Harrison that works well to draw shock gobbles? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

Get you one of those shoreline marine Mini Eco air horn, that will wake the turkeys up.. if you want you can add one of these to the end of Harrison owl hooter's ...It's so loud , it may take the turkeys about week to be able to hear again ... In all seriousness i don't use any of those Owl Hooters , I've just had great success without them. I do carry old crow call, but in a season it might get used 2 times...

Brwndg

Pileated woodpecker call is DAMN LOUD, but not as effective as owl call. At least from my experience.
Usually crow works good once the sun is up
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Jrkimbrough

I own both a Harrison hooter and a Houndstooth. The Houndstooth is definitely quite a bit louder than the Harrison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullfan

Your voice is hard to beat, always have it w you and it takes up lil room.
Don't gobble at me...

Yoder409

Just train your birds to gobble in the dark of morning each and every day during spring season like I did.

Problem solved.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

MK M GOBL

I have an old H.S. Strut "Reed" Owl Hooter I picked up a turkey show/seminar and it is LOUD, been using is for 25+ years and it will Make em Gobble. Haven't seen one in a long time, H.S. switched over to the Palmer's Hoot Tube (I bought a wood one) and was nowhere close to the same volume, true had maybe a better sound but I'm not trying to call in owls...

MK M GOBL

simpzenith

I would take realism over volume any day. Volume doesn't necessarily equate to more responses. With loud, unrealistic sounds, there's a possibility of shutting a gobbler up for good. You're not going to spook them with realistic sounds in most cases. Another benefit of realistic owl hoots is that the real owls will respond sometimes, and those real owls might be closer to a gobbler, resulting in a shock gobble that you would have never gotten otherwise. If they won't gobble to standard owl hooting, add in some caterwauling. If that doesn't work, wait a while then try a coyote howl or a crow call but I would stick with what sounds real.

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 09, 2020, 09:12:40 AM
I have an old H.S. Strut "Reed" Owl Hooter I picked up a turkey show/seminar and it is LOUD, been using is for 25+ years and it will Make em Gobble. Haven't seen one in a long time, H.S. switched over to the Palmer's Hoot Tube (I bought a wood one) and was nowhere close to the same volume, true had maybe a better sound but I'm not trying to call in owls...

MK M GOBL
I just found this exact owl hooter in used condition on eBay for sixteen bucks. I snapped it up and will give it a shot this year.

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

MK M GOBL

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 09, 2020, 02:09:05 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 09, 2020, 09:12:40 AM

MK M GOBL
I just found this exact owl hooter in used condition on eBay for sixteen bucks. I snapped it up and will give it a shot this year.

Congrats! It does have a good sound to it but I like the volume I can get from it. I have had owls respond to it as well, even have them fly into the trees by me.

MK M GOBL

shatcher

I have an old Doug Camp owl hooter that looks like a German WW2 hand grenade, tater masher.  It's the $h!t.  Makes them gobble.

Gobble!

Quote from: simpzenith on February 09, 2020, 11:06:13 AM
I would take realism over volume any day. Volume doesn't necessarily equate to more responses. With loud, unrealistic sounds, there's a possibility of shutting a gobbler up for good. You're not going to spook them with realistic sounds in most cases. Another benefit of realistic owl hoots is that the real owls will respond sometimes, and those real owls might be closer to a gobbler, resulting in a shock gobble that you would have never gotten otherwise. If they won't gobble to standard owl hooting, add in some caterwauling. If that doesn't work, wait a while then try a coyote howl or a crow call but I would stick with what sounds real.

100%.