OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Green Slate Striker

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 07, 2020, 08:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just curious, what's everybody's preferred striker for green slate? I just picked up a MAC walnut green slate in the classifieds, and was wondering what matches well with it. Also, who's striker would you recommend? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Aholdren

I really like "Bigslam" Chad Remenaric's 2 Piece Dymondwood,  but his snakewood one piece is my favorite.... Either one will run on any surface that Ive used them on..

aclawrence

I have a JLH Granadillo that runs good on a green slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

You just need to put every striker you own on it. I have found that your striker may sound great on your green slate and you run it on mine and it does not sound as good on mine. Characteristics of the diffrent wood grain in the pot as well as the striker.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 07, 2020, 09:20:58 AM
You just need to put every striker you own on it. I have found that your striker may sound great on your green slate and you run it on mine and it does not sound as good on mine. Characteristics of the diffrent wood grain in the pot as well as the striker.
Yes , this for sure , try different strikers , some strikers may give it a higher pitch , some may give it a real raspy tone , some more of a softer tone ... it's pretty much, use the striker that fits your sound needs.. snakewood, Diamondwood, black locust, tulipwood, hickory and purpleheart are probably some of the most used strikers.

Ctrize

Yep as stated try everything you have and go with what sounds best. The green and red slates are a bit harder than black and I think a harder striker sounds better but that to my ear.

Gog1015

HookedonHooks

I've found it's real tough to beat a good Dymondwood on green slate. Really any surface with Dymondwood for that matter, but especially green slate.

Tulipwood, Mac Ebony, Katalox, Ipe, and Cumaru are all ones that I've also used on green slate with good results. As others have said the balance of each striker, along with the grain structure will sound different on different pots, so try what you have and if not satisfied get to ordering a few.

I have not tried any from JLH, but many people on here who's opinions I respect say the balance and quality of his strikers is nearly unmatched, so that's a place to start.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: HookedonHooks on February 07, 2020, 12:14:19 PM
I've found it's real tough to beat a good Dymondwood on green slate. Really any surface with Dymondwood for that matter, but especially green slate.

Tulipwood, Mac Ebony, Katalox, Ipe, and Cumaru are all ones that I've also used on green slate with good results. As others have said the balance of each striker, along with the grain structure will sound different on different pots, so try what you have and if not satisfied get to ordering a few.

I have not tried any from JLH, but many people on here who's opinions I respect say the balance and quality of his strikers is nearly unmatched, so that's a place to start.

JHL makes some fine strikers.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Big Jeremy

Macassar ebony has been my personal favorite on green slate...gifted that combo to a friend before last season. He killed a couple of birds while running that combo.