OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trying something new......

Started by chatterbox, February 06, 2020, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Hey everyone!!!!

It's been quite a while since I have been in this great website!
So gonna try something new this year.
I'm planning on taking my recently tuned High Country bow and kill a spring gobbler!
I'm shooting 55 lbs with carbon arrows with NAP 100 grain Killzone mechanical broadheads...
I really want to do this without  a blind, and any and all advice is appreciated and welcomed!

Sir-diealot

If you have the room for one I really like the room in my Barronett Pentagon blind. Make sure ahead of time that any blind you do get gives you the room to draw back without hitting your arm against back of blind when drawing, room s you do not hit front of blind with bow when drawing, so that bow does not hit any part of blind including roof when drawing and if you can bring your bow and seat you will be sitting in when you are hunting while checking out a new blind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

fallhnt

I shoot 50 lbs. so your setup is good.
Look at the leg, on broadside shots,go up from there and shoot the upper 3rd of the bird. That's the shot I use and birds drop in sight.
Practice shooting out of you blind.
Good broadhead choice too.
Don't set the blind up facing into the sun.
Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

chatterbox

Quote from: fallhnt on February 06, 2020, 07:43:02 PM
I shoot 50 lbs. so your setup is good.
Look at the leg, on broadside shots,go up from there and shoot the upper 3rd of the bird. That's the shot I use and birds drop in sight.
Practice shooting out of you blind.
Good broadhead choice too.
Don't set the blind up facing into the sun.
Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the great advice!

Ranger

"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

simpzenith

Quote from: chatterbox on February 06, 2020, 06:07:36 PMI really want to do this with a blind, and any and all advice is appreciated and welcomed!

Did you mean "with" or "without"?

chatterbox

Quote from: simpzenith on February 07, 2020, 08:31:05 AM
Quote from: chatterbox on February 06, 2020, 06:07:36 PMI really want to do this with a blind, and any and all advice is appreciated and welcomed!

whoops, meant without!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: chatterbox on February 07, 2020, 02:09:35 PM
Quote from: simpzenith on February 07, 2020, 08:31:05 AM

whoops, meant without!
No wonder you did not reply to my reply. lol Best of luck to you either way, I had hoped to get one with my bow in the Spring of 2002 but had my car accident Nov. of 2001 and it never happened.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

KYFrid

MK M GOBL

Quote from: chatterbox on February 06, 2020, 06:07:36 PM
I really want to do this with a blind, and any and all advice is appreciated and welcomed!

So no blind, are you in timber or in field/opening?

We have killed both ways, a lot has to do with knowing which way the bird is approaching from, and of course righty/lefty for shooting. We set so the bird is coming from strong side and will have brush/tree "blocker" from approach side. Key is having the bow drawn at the right time so as bird comes in view the shot can be made. The field/opening shot is easier to make as you have a better path to the bird.

Didn't say whether you use decoys or not, there are a few sets we have had luck with I could go into but if you are looking to hunt without the decoy use will make a difference.

We do shoot the drumstick shot (broadside), take out his legs and he goes nowhere.

MK M GOBL

chatterbox

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 07, 2020, 10:58:19 PM
I really want to do this with a blind, and any and all advice is appreciated and welcomed!

We have killed both ways, a lot has to do with knowing which way the bird is approaching from, and of course righty/lefty for shooting. We set so the bird is coming from strong side and will have brush/tree "blocker" from approach side. Key is having the bow drawn at the right time so as bird comes in view the shot can be made. The field/opening shot is easier to make as you have a better path to the bird.

Didn't say whether you use decoys or not, there are a few sets we have had luck with I could go into but if you are looking to hunt without the decoy use will make a difference.

We do shoot the drumstick shot (broadside), take out his legs and he goes nowhere.

MK M GOBL
I do plan on using decoys and trying my hand with field birds first.
I hunt a small cull da sac that opens into a larger field.
The turkeys can show up from almost anywhere from the woods surrounding the field, but tend to come straight in.
I'm a left hand bow shooter. Do most hunters set decoys out at 20, or closer?

MK M GOBL

Quote from: chatterbox on February 08, 2020, 05:53:24 AM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 07, 2020, 10:58:19 PM

MK M GOBL
I do plan on using decoys and trying my hand with field birds first.
I hunt a small cull da sac that opens into a larger field.
The turkeys can show up from almost anywhere from the woods surrounding the field, but tend to come straight in.
I'm a left hand bow shooter. Do most hunters set decoys out at 20, or closer?

If you are consistent at 20 then yes, bird will be paying attention to decoys. Do you use a Jake? Upright Hen? Breeder?
Pick your shot by placing your decoy to your strong side and your *Jake set at the spot where you will shoot. We have also placed a Breeding Hen decoy parallel to our set and have had the tom walk on her back (broadside). Leave some elbow room between decoys to allow tom to move around/through them. If you have some brushy cover to get behind to mask some of your movement is best.

Pic is of that hen breeder decoy placement.

MK M GOBL